User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I know I said that I was done posting on this thread but after seeing the last post about the tanker driver and the freeway collapse I decided what the hell since Im not talking about me.

I havent heard or seen enough of this story to even have a somewhat informed opinion. However I truly hope people dont rush to judgement on this man because of his record. Not only because of my recent incident but because I knew a man just like him. For almost five years I owned my own moving company doing primarily military relocations although were also a commercial agent for Carlyle Van Lines. When we agreed to represent Carlyle, we began the tedious process of trying to hire drivers to run 48 for us. The problem was not only did we have to approve the driver but so did Carlyle. After interviewing one man, myself and my father (who owned it before me and still helped out) were thoroughly impressed. The man had the experience not only as a driver but also as a mover. He was the nicest man you could meet, went to church every chance he got, very courteous and respectful, great with customers, just all around great guy. Then when I asked him to sign the background check release he said he needed to talk about that. He said he didnt want to hide anything and that he had a spotty criminal background from decades before and that 10 years prior he had checked himself into a rehab program for chemical dependency (I dont recall what type) He said he had been sober every day since then and asked if there was anything we could do. I spoke to his counselers and administrative staff and got nothing but glowing reports. They had even asked him to speak to others in the program. I wanted to give him a second chance. Everyone at Carlyle wanted to give him a chance....except for one. One person in safety coudlnt look past the record (which did not include any theft related issues or ANY CMV violations) One of the best drivers (and men for that matter) I had ever met was denied a chance because he had gotten in trouble and asked for help. That thing that really burnt me was that they didnt care that I kept him on to ride with the new freight drivers I had hired to train them into HHG. Apparently if you commit a crime it only affects your ability to drive and not your ability to be around customers and enter their houses. He wasnt given a second chance when he deserved one, so when I see that this guy had a past and was given a shot I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So when I see the news report saying basically that he never should have been given a license it kinda irritates me. If his arrest for drugs had been driving related I dont believe he would have been able to obtain employment as a driver. So to say "You did some drugs back in the day and went to jail so you definitely couldnt have changed and your obviously at fault for this now is highly predjudical. Even if he IS at fault (which he very well could be) Why couldnt they just say, "we believe AFTER AN INVESTIGATION that the driver was speeding and leave it at that?? Why cant they just tell the truth about what they know for a fact instead of drudging up things from peoples past to make it more interesting. They specifically say that investigators dont believe drugs or alcohol were a factor. Since he passed the screening and possible randoms I assume hes been clean altough I KNOW that doesnt prove anything. And if he has beeen clean and got himself a job instead of not a media bitchslapping.

They say in the news report (the video) that they werent any witnesses or if there were they're in the rubble too. So what are they basing the speed accusation on? Probably nothing at this point but a speeding doper with a funny last name makes a way better story than John Smith, driver from nowhere with no record and no violations or vices being involved in an accident of undetermined causes.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I just hope that everybody gives this man the benefit of the doubt as so many have done for me. What I have said here is based on what Ive read to date but I havent had a chance to completely research this. So if theyve come out with something new please post it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Board Regular

BiggsAtlas The reason I see the news doing what they do is Those Darn Killer Truck Drivers image just to sell a paper or a Ad for their news cast.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsAtlas
I know I said that I was done posting on this thread but after seeing the last post about the tanker driver and the freeway collapse I decided what the hell since Im not talking about me.

I havent heard or seen enough of this story to even have a somewhat informed opinion. However I truly hope people dont rush to judgement on this man because of his record. Not only because of my recent incident but because I knew a man just like him. For almost five years I owned my own moving company doing primarily military relocations although were also a commercial agent for Carlyle Van Lines. When we agreed to represent Carlyle, we began the tedious process of trying to hire drivers to run 48 for us. The problem was not only did we have to approve the driver but so did Carlyle. After interviewing one man, myself and my father (who owned it before me and still helped out) were thoroughly impressed. The man had the experience not only as a driver but also as a mover. He was the nicest man you could meet, went to church every chance he got, very courteous and respectful, great with customers, just all around great guy. Then when I asked him to sign the background check release he said he needed to talk about that. He said he didnt want to hide anything and that he had a spotty criminal background from decades before and that 10 years prior he had checked himself into a rehab program for chemical dependency (I dont recall what type) He said he had been sober every day since then and asked if there was anything we could do. I spoke to his counselers and administrative staff and got nothing but glowing reports. They had even asked him to speak to others in the program. I wanted to give him a second chance. Everyone at Carlyle wanted to give him a chance....except for one. One person in safety coudlnt look past the record (which did not include any theft related issues or ANY CMV violations) One of the best drivers (and men for that matter) I had ever met was denied a chance because he had gotten in trouble and asked for help. That thing that really burnt me was that they didnt care that I kept him on to ride with the new freight drivers I had hired to train them into HHG. Apparently if you commit a crime it only affects your ability to drive and not your ability to be around customers and enter their houses. He wasnt given a second chance when he deserved one, so when I see that this guy had a past and was given a shot I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So when I see the news report saying basically that he never should have been given a license it kinda irritates me. If his arrest for drugs had been driving related I dont believe he would have been able to obtain employment as a driver. So to say "You did some drugs back in the day and went to jail so you definitely couldnt have changed and your obviously at fault for this now is highly predjudical. Even if he IS at fault (which he very well could be) Why couldnt they just say, "we believe AFTER AN INVESTIGATION that the driver was speeding and leave it at that?? Why cant they just tell the truth about what they know for a fact instead of drudging up things from peoples past to make it more interesting. They specifically say that investigators dont believe drugs or alcohol were a factor. Since he passed the screening and possible randoms I assume hes been clean altough I KNOW that doesnt prove anything. And if he has beeen clean and got himself a job instead of not a media bitchslapping.

They say in the news report (the video) that they werent any witnesses or if there were they're in the rubble too. So what are they basing the speed accusation on? Probably nothing at this point but a speeding doper with a funny last name makes a way better story than John Smith, driver from nowhere with no record and no violations or vices being involved in an accident of undetermined causes.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I just hope that everybody gives this man the benefit of the doubt as so many have done for me. What I have said here is based on what Ive read to date but I havent had a chance to completely research this. So if theyve come out with something new please post it.

People only see the bad in others, and think they will never change. This is what really pisses me off! Most believe you are guilty untill proven innocent, untill it happens to them....lol