User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Internet Access on the Road?

Newbie here. I know this question may seem trivial compared to others on this forum (and may even be posted in the wrong section) but I've been getting mixed responses to this and I figured the regulars here would know.

I have a laptop computer and am addicted to the Internet for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the fact I use it to keep in touch with friends and family. On Sunday I head out onto the road for the first time with my driver trainer and won't be back for six weeks. My question is this: how easy is it to stay net-connected on the road? How much money does it cost to do so? Do all truck stops have WiFi, and if so, is it ever free or does it cost some sort of outrageously high amount? Lastly, are there any hints I need to be aware of in order to ensure maximum online time when I'm "on line 1" (very punny, I know)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Blaze
Old 01-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Many truck stops have wi-fi. It can be purchased for a day for about $5.00 or a longer period of subscription on a monthly or annual basis.

Alot of us carry "aircards" and have service with companies like Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.

If you do a search of this site with the words wi-fi and aircard you'll get more information than you ever wanted on this subject. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

I use the FlyingJ WiFi, 19.95 a month with unlimited time. At some stops it gets kinda cranky but you just look for the antena and park where you can "see" it.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 AM

The aircard will give you the most flexibility because you carry your connection with you.

If you opt for a subscription (such as IdleAir or FlyingJ), you have to be there to use it.

Most truck stops on Interstates have IdleAir, but if you're running on skinny roads (state routes), you'll be overnighting at what amount to gas stations with a big field out back.

Most aircards will run you 19.95 per month, and you'll pay around $100 for the card - although you'll run into rebate offers that will make that price vary greatly.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I use a sprint aircard and rarley loose connection East of the rockies. I m on the internet ALOT while DH is driving.
It costs us 59.00 a month unlimited access

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Board Regular

I have a laptop also. The only truck stop I will pay for is Flying J. think the others suck personally. However, I am very luck with getting on the Internet from people who have and have not secured their network.

What I mean is, the other day I was getting unloaded and fired up my computer and I found a signal. This signal was good and I got the Internet thru their router.

Then their are time where I will fire up the ole laptop and I pick up a signal and its password protected. From doing some research I have found that business's will use a weak password. Example. I type in "password" "admin" "monkey" or the screen name that shows on my screen and voila I am on. Does this work all the time. NO so don't think its a sure fire method.

A buddy of mine will park near hotels and motels if he needs to get on and picks up their signals as well.

Obviously outside the truck stops these signals are free. So that's what I do. I don't go out of my way to find a hotel but I have picked up their signals. Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Rookie

I've got a yearly subscription with Flying J. Flying J's can be cranky on the signal (they're too cheap I guess to add additional routers). I know the Flying J in Carlisle is about impossible to log onto during daylight hours. I no longer go there instead I'll stop at the Hess at exit 77 on I81. I also redeem my RoadKing points at TA's for their WiFi service if I know I'm going to sit for a few hours at a TA.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibamars
I have a laptop also. The only truck stop I will pay for is Flying J. think the others suck personally. However, I am very luck with getting on the Internet from people who have and have not secured their network.

What I mean is, the other day I was getting unloaded and fired up my computer and I found a signal. This signal was good and I got the Internet thru their router.

Then their are time where I will fire up the ole laptop and I pick up a signal and its password protected. From doing some research I have found that business's will use a weak password. Example. I type in "password" "admin" "monkey" or the screen name that shows on my screen and voila I am on. Does this work all the time. NO so don't think its a sure fire method.

A buddy of mine will park near hotels and motels if he needs to get on and picks up their signals as well.

Obviously outside the truck stops these signals are free. So that's what I do. I don't go out of my way to find a hotel but I have picked up their signals. Hope that helps.
One caution. It is illegal to use a network you are not paying for. While the chance of being detected is small it can be done.

Anyone that doesn't use a well protected wireless network is dumb.

One other thing you might want to think about. There are guy/gals that will leave a network open and if anyone connect to the network they infect the computer with a virus. Food for thought.

kc0iv
Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Board Regular

My experience with wi-fi, we bought a month of Flying J. They only thing I don't like about it, is if you exceed a certain amout of bandwith, they will cut your connection off whether you have time left of your subscription or not. We switched to TA wi-fi. It can be spotty depending where you are parked, but it worked pretty good and we never had a problem with bandwith limits.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Board Regular

The absolute best way to go is an aircard if you can afford it. Sprint had a special last month for a free card and $49 a month and I did not need to have a phone account to get that deal. I also found that each Sprint kiosk seems to have different deals. Do your research on the net to make sure you get the best deal. It has worked almost everywhere I tried to use it with very few exceptions.

The truckstop Wi-Fi spots are cheaper but often less than convenient and if the lot is full, often so slow that it can take 5 min to load a page.

If your in Iowa, it is free at all of the Rest areas, at least along I-80. The Bosselman TS offer free Wi-Fi as almost all McDonalds with a purchase. W/O a purchase it runs around $2.

As stated earlier, you can often log into Hotel routers if their not password protected which are not as easy to find as they once where.

[email protected]