User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt
Well today's route would have taken me through a short tunnel...so I bypassed it...had to drive on narrow downtown streets in a congested area and across a grade crossing on the railroad tracks...certainly seems more logical to me to just take the darn tunnel but I would like to see some actual regs one way or the other...not trying to argue or anything

Birken
Like they said, there are no regs on it. It falls under local/state jurisdiction.
The only decent sized tunnel in this area has a big red sign that say "Hazardous Materials Prohibited, follow prohibited vehicle route".

Your area may differ though, and as Skywalker said, best to call the DOT for the area you're traveling in and find out.

You won't find any regs because the FMCSA doesn't regulate hazmat routes.

A lot of it probably depends on the size of the tunnel. If you think about a long tunnel and a tanker crashing in there and exploding you would have a fiery inferno of death spouting out of each side of the tunnel and everyone inside the tunnel would be a cooked goose. It is no laughing matter. Best to follow their advice and call the local DOT on routes you can take with your load.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
(b) A motor carrier carrying hazardous materials required to be placarded or marked in accordance with 49 CFR §177.823 and not subject to a NRHM routing designations pursuant to this subpart, shall operate the vehicle over routes which do not go through or near heavily populated areas, places where crowds are assembled, tunnels, narrow streets, or alleys, except where the motor carrier determines that ..........
the full explanation is here