User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who has terminals in central Florida?

I am doing my research on companies and would like to narrow down the list some. Here on CAD there are 76 companies listed as hiring in Florida but terminal locations are not listed on most of their www sites. Is there a way of finding out who has a terminal in the central Florida area bordered in the south by Orlando and in the north by Lake City. Yes I know, call and ask. Just trying to thin out the list.

I ask because I believe that it will be easier to get home time if the carrier I chose has a terminal near my home. Am I right? At the very least I will have a shorter trip from the terminal to the homestead.

Oh yea, does anyone know about the CFCC school or of any good schools in the same area?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 01-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Who has terminals in central Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danisawannabe
I am doing my research on companies and would like to narrow down the list some. Here on CAD there are 76 companies listed as hiring in Florida but terminal locations are not listed on most of their www sites. Is there a way of finding out who has a terminal in the central Florida area bordered in the south by Orlando and in the north by Lake City. Yes I know, call and ask. Just trying to thin out the list.
ComCar has many terminals in FL. Swift, I think, has one in Ocala. Lester Coggins has one in Okahumpka, Carroll Fulmer in Groveland, and there are a few up around Apopka and Eustis....

Quote:
I ask because I believe that it will be easier to get home time if the carrier I chose has a terminal near my home. Am I right? At the very least I will have a shorter trip from the terminal to the homestead.

Thanks in advance,
Dan[/list]
Dan, it makes very little difference where the terminal is, unless they require you to park your truck at the terminal. I drove for CFI for over 7 years.... and the nearest terminal to my home (Punta Gorda, FL) is all the way up in West Memphis, AR. I took my truck home with me. Most companies do this. The only bugaboo there is finding a place to park it.
If you can find a place to securely park a rig.....it makes no difference where the terminal is..... Never made a lick of difference to me and my ability to get home. Whether you get home when you should....depends entirely on whether you work for a bottomfeeder or a good company.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Swift, I think, has one in Ocala.
Sure do, I turned wrenches for them for a while.

The only plus I ever saw having the terminal in Florida was that you're assured that the company handles a decent amount of freight in the state. Usually there's a good bit coming in, but very little going out (even out of Ocala, most times my first load out would come from southern Georgia). Other than that, the terminal only determines what time zone you log in, and where your dispatcher sits.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danisawannabe

Oh yea, does anyone know about the CFCC school or of any good schools in the same area?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Hi Dan, I know Crete Carrier has a terminal near Orlando, right in Deland, FL. As far as your schooling goes....make sure it is a PTDI credited school..and I think there is one in Orlando. you can check out the website to find the school closest to you. www.ptdi.com
Good Luck
BA
Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Rookie
Default Who has terminals in central Florida?

Thanks for the info. Also thought it might be easier in some other ways. Like if I have to drop off a truck for repairs, it might be fixed by the time I had to be back on the road.

So am I correct in believing that having a termial close to home has no real advantages then?

TIA,
Dan
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyAnn
As far as your schooling goes....make sure it is a PTDI credited school..and I think there is one in Orlando. you can check out the website to find the school closest to you. www.ptdi.com
Good Luck
BA
According to the http://www.ptdi.org/schools/schools.htm site there are no PTDI accredited schools in Florida. But I'll still ask my prospective schools anyway, might have been some changes.

Thanks
Dan[/url]
Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Terminals/Florida/ Etc

Werner has a terminal neat Tampa, many reefer pullers have yards between Tampa and Orlando. Look into getting your CDL training thru a community college, example is Washington-Holmes in the panhandle. There's also one near Starke, but don't remember the name. For commercial schools, National is one of the better in Florida, in my opinion, excellent range near Palatka. Roadmaster only teaches enough to pass testing for the CDL. BOL
Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM

I went to Pinellas Technical Education Center in St. Petersburg which had an affordable CDL course and excellent training, but last I heard they may be closing it. I believe LCT has a trucking school as well as a heavy equipment school in Citrus County, in Lecanto.

Swift's terminal is in Ocala west of I-75. Cypress and CCC should have terminals closeby but I think they are more intrastate companies.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Hmm, I got my CDL through SAGE in West Palm Beach, but don't see it on the PTDI website. I'm almost positive they're certified though, I should dig up my certificate and see. The ones in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are listed, maybe the site needs updating. I liked the program. Got all endorsements, and passed every test (written and driving) on the first try.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Board Regular

LCT doesn not have a school, but they do accept students. Withlacoochee Tech in Inverness has a driving school though. You might look in to Cypress in Jax, Fl, or CT which is a Comcar company, both companies will get you home on the weekends, and accept students.