User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering entering the trucking industry...

hi. I have a few questions about being a trucker...

1) Are the hours of work really long?

2) Do you guys still get enough time to do hobbies... like drawing or boxing or anything like that? Do you still have time to hangout with your friends?

3) How does a total newb truck driver start up? What kind of job is he likely to get and what is his expected salary (in CDN dollar as I'm in Canada)? Will my starting salary be at least $30k a year?

4) How do I determine a good trucking school? How many hours is a newb like me supposed to train in the truck? How many hours is spent in the classroom and how many hours is spent behind the wheel?

5) Is there really a massive shortage of truck drivers? Is it true that most of them are 55 years old and soon to retire? Will I have difficulty getting a job?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM

OK the 1st thing to remember is that truck driving, especially Over The Road, OTR is not a job or a career...its a lifestyle. Since its one of the only few jobs where you sleep and work in the same place.

Being as though your single, its much easier.

1. Yes the hours can really be that long. Legally your allowed to do 70 hours in 6 days, now your only allowed 11 per day driving and 14 total(includes driving, unloading, fueling, etc.

2. This is how I know your not married It all depends on the job. If you found a daytime local driving job, its possible to be home every day and weekends too, it goes up from there. To home weekends and maybe 1 or 2 times during the week, to weekends only, to home every 2 weeks. So yes there is hometime. If you live in an area where there are a lot of day driving jobs, then your life may never change, and then you would feel more like its a job.

when I had my own business, I was out late everynight, so me and my wife didnt see each other much during the week. Now that Im home weekends, we spend nearly 100% of that time together.

3. The steps you take can differ. If you signed on with a large carrier, some of them will put you through a CDL school, pay for it, employ you, and pay for training, then your out on your own. No company is gonna set someone with no TT experience loose off the bat. The pros, usually it wont cost you anything, The cons, you agree to work for them for a certain period of time, and you sign a contract to that.

You also have the option of going to a local community college or trade school. Many offer a CDL training course, which in the states locally here runs around $4000. Its usually a few months of day or evening classes. They have recruiters come to the school, and you may sign on with one of them, do training and your off.

Those are usually the only 2 ways you can get a CDL now. UNLESS you know someone with their own trucks who will teach you for some time, and insure you so you can practice/work in their truck. My dad owns a trucking company, and I was fortunate enough to learn from him a while back, then I went to work for him. Didnt cost me a dime, but I didnt get paid either, until I was on my own....it was the best training I could have ever imagined.

The type of job you get depends on whats available around you, skilled driving jobs require skilled drivers. Most all ads both in your paper or online will tell you how much experience is needed.

4. Ask around. The best driving schools will expose themselves. Usually if its company sponsored, its good like Schneider driving school, or TMC driving school etc. They may not have their own schools but work hand in hand with a good school. Stay away from the CDL Mill types of schools. They are usually only a few short weeks, and enough to get your license, thats all.

5. Your pay can differ. I have heard of SOME 1st year drivers doing 60+K(Can $$) in their 1st year. It depends on how hard you want to work, how much you set, how much paid, etc Prob the average will be around 35 to 45k (Can. $$)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Spend some time reading through this website and pretty much every one of your questions will be answered by someone who has already asked the same questions as you have.

By the time you're done reading through the threads on this website, you'll either be an armchair super trucker since you've never driven a big truck but have all the knowledge since you've read the site, OR, you'll want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this business of being a trucker by what you've read on this board.

BOL

"Never say never because you just never know"