User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Medical Records

Well first of all I would like to say hi to all you good folks. Ive been reading many of the posts over the last few weeks and really like both the valuable info being passed, and the good natured camaraderie made fresh daily. I,m transitioning from driving bus to OTR, but i really got off to a bad start. A few weeks after i left my last job, I went to see the Doc for my bi-annual DOT Physical. He asked about drinking, and I disclosed that i typically had a couple drinks before bed, and enjoyed beer when I'm grilling on weekends. I was shocked when he informed me that he could not authorize me to drive a CV unless i,"got some help". Well i attended a counseling session, then asked Doc if he would sign off on it and he did. My moral dilemma is......

I don't know if i should be honest in future disclosures, with prospective employers regarding what would be my problem... or keep it to myself and hope it ends there. Also, I don't know if the specific info from past physicals is forwarded to companies considering employing me, or can i just show them my approved certification?

I have cut down to every other nite, just to know i can. (thanks for asking), and i would really like to know what those of you with some experience would suggest, or maybe some direction. Thanx :roll:
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member

One of two things will happen.

1. (Most likely) You will be taking a new physical when you attend orientation, and your old (current) one is not going to matter anyway.

2. The company you go to will accept your current physical and ask for a copy of your longform and "card".

One thing though. If you really feel you need a couple of drinks in the evening to help you sleep then OTR driving may not be for you. Anytime you are in the truck (cab or sleeper) you may be called upon to move that truck and if you are found to be even the slightest bit intoxicated you can be shut down for 24 hours and your company will be notified. Also most companies have a policy regarding drinking while not at home and will fire a driver if they even suspect s/he is drinking while on the road.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Rookie
Default Medical records

I understand about drinking on the road, and sure i can do without. I'm not sure i understand your reply about the medical info though. If they'll "accept" the my current certification, why will they give me another one?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Many companies want the physical done by the clinic they are affiliated with. Usually only your very small companies will take an existing physical - mid size and large ones have you do another one as a matter of routine when you take your drug screening.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Rookie
Default physicals`

My gut is to take the high road and just tell the truth to any and all who ask (best policy), but others thought i was ignorant to volunteer anything in the first place, and suggest i never again say anything about it. I AM afraid that if a company sees any admission to alcohol abuse (such as it was), they may not hire me. I really don't know what to do.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Alcohol

Trubbledog,
Be advised when you go OTR you may well have the keys to the tractor in your possession all the time. The first company I worked for, for more than a year, it was company regs that when a driver had the keys to a power unit, he could not consume alcohol. Period.
It's my experience that some drivers attending orientation didn't gain employment because they had some beer with their dinner the night before the drug test.
Don't be surprised when you encounter the same thing. I believe your doc did you a favor. .04 isn't much. BOL
Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
It's my experience that some drivers attenting orientation didn't gain employment because they had some beer with their dinner the night before the drug test.
Some companies will also put you up in a hotel with a bar - and then use the hotel staff to monitor who has any alcohol.

If you are *sure* that you can get by for months at a time without a drink, you should be fine. I do understand why that physician was a little concerned though. Driving a truck is a safety sensitive function, and you not only have your life on the line, but the motoring public around you. If you are serious about driving, I would cut the alcohol out completely now and see how you do. You're not even going to get to have it every other night on the road.

As far as disclosure, if you eliminate the problem now, when the doc asks you about your alcohol use, you can truthfully say it's once in a blue moon.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't drink. I know a number of drivers and owner operators who won't even touch alcohol while on the road. The only way any of them will drink is when they know that they will be home for a couple of days. Some who do drink won't even have anything on the road even if they know that they will be sitting for a couple of days. It isn't worth the risk. If you have a couple of drinks every day, I would say that you have a problem. Drinking and driving don't mix. If you can't get by without drinking you should do yourself a favor and not drive for a living. You are subject for a random drug screen at any time. If you are found to have any alcohol in your system, you can say goodbye to your career. The risks are simply too great for the owner of the equipment and carrier to allow that type of behavior.