User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 14 hour rule exemption

I thought there was an exemption to the 14 hour rule. If you were doing a trip normally able to be made legally, and had a breakdown or weather you could actually log up to 16 hours legally. Is this rumor or fact. I broke down and went over on my log by 30 min. and didn't catch it until I turned it in. Now the safety dept. is up in arms over it. Can anybody provide a link to a DOT website or something on this matter?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Rookie

www.fmcsa.dot.gov
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
(b) Adverse driving conditions. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (h)(2) of this section, a driver who encounters adverse driving conditions, as defined in § 395.2, and cannot, because of those conditions, safely complete the run within the maximum driving time permitted by §§ 395.3(a) or 395.5(a) may drive and be permitted or required to drive a commercial motor vehicle for not more than 2 additional hours in order to complete that run or to reach a place offering safety for the occupants of the commercial motor vehicle and security for the commercial motor vehicle and its cargo. However, that driver may not drive or be permitted to drive-

(b)(1)(i) For more than 13 hours in the aggregate following 10 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles;

(b)(1)(ii) After the end of the 14th hour since coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles;

(b)(1)(iii) For more than 12 hours in the aggregate following 8 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicles; or

(b)(1)(iv) After he/she has been on duty 15 hours following 8 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicles.
From Here

As you can see there is no provision for breakdowns, only adverse driving conditions. Also there is no excemption to the 14 hour rule, only the 11 hour drive rule.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Board Regular

Thanks, I guess I screwed the pooch on this one. It's only allowed for weather conditions I assume?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
Thanks, I guess I screwed the pooch on this one. It's only allowed for weather conditions I assume?
Yep, only for weather and then you have to meet some pretty strict criteria before using it, like not knowing or being able to know the conditions or potential for the adverse conditions exsisted. That you could have finished the run in the time you had left to drive/work if the adverse conditions were not there. Also finishing the run does not mean getting to your next planned rest stop, it means making your final delivery.

So with all that, in the age of cable TV, sattelit radio and so on it would be very very hard to convince anyone that you did not know the snow storm was heading your way or that there wasn't a fog warning out or something.

It is an old reg and one I am suprised they have not taken off the books.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
(b)(1)(ii) After the end of the 14th hour since coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles;

This provision right here is what kills the chicken. 14 hour rule is still in effect.

If the weather gets that bad.....SHUT IT DOWN!! Better to get home late, pick up late, or deliver late....than have an accident that could change your life forever or end it.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

You are allowed to drive to the 16th hour if you can show that you start and end your day at the same location everyday. You can do this one time after every reset of your 60-70 hr clock.