User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Road bump

Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

Heres my problem I attended Swift Driving Academy class 547 went to Orientation and now waiting on a mentor. Well I called my "Driver Services Coordinator" who is the person that finds mentors for those that need it. They said its a 2-3 wk wait :? even tho thru all the schooling we were not going to have this issue :x

Now I have been out of work for 5-6 wks from going to school to now. I cant wait another 2-3 wks before ever seeing a pay check I have bills just like the rest of the world. So I have started just probing to see whats out there. So far

http://www.transportamerica.com/

http://www.usxpress.com/

http://www.gordontrucking.com/

Covenant
KLLM
SNI

all have approved me so what I am looking for is should I just sit tight since I have made it this far and get my Exp with swift OR should I move on? Also are there some other company's I should check into before choosing?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Dont wait on them go somewhere else .
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Im with Mikey....get a job man!!!!

And if Swift sends ya a bill, alot of places will pay it for you!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I can certainly understand your predictament, and normally I would say stick it out at Swift, but this time my adivce is going to be a little different.

Go ahead and set up orientation with another company only if they will promise you, in writing, that you will have a trainier by the end of the week you attend orientation and/or that you will be recieving training pay if you do not.

Then if Swift calls before you leave for orientation/training with another company then go ahead and stay at Swift, if not then you are on your way.

Out of the companies you have listed, IMHO, I would focus on Transport America, Gordon, and KLLM.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks for your replys.

So far Transport America is the front runner. IF for some reason that a trainer is not able to be there they send you home and PAY you everyday till your picked up by a trainer.

Talked to Gordon today again they say its a cpl wk wait to due to no trainers being free.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Senior Board Member

If swift sends you bill tell where they can stick it . If they are going to let you hang without making money you have have the right to move on ... :x
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Board Regular

It's one thing if there going to pay you $350.00-$500.00 a week to wait.
But if they told me to wait 2-3 weeks for a mentor. Tell them that money talks, BS walks.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Board Regular

I say go ahead and move on wepwawet. If they are giving you the run-a-round right after schooling imagine how bad it will be if you start driving for them. Look into either Werner www.werner.com or Transport America. T.A. offers a good hometime package here in Ohio with the 7/7 or 14/7 flexhometime. Werner is honest and will be straight forward. and I think the pay is a little bit better starting out than at T.A. U.S. Xpress seems alright I have talked to some of there drivers and the only complaint they had was some of the runs don't pay to well but they said they were treated right and liked U.S.X. BOL
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey4069
If swift sends you bill tell where they can stick it . If they are going to let you hang without making money you have have the right to move on ... :x
Yea right. If it was that easy to get out of the contract everyone that had to wait for a mentor would be bailing. It just isn't so.

You're not getting the run around, as someone stated. I asked about waiting times and it's common to wait 2 weeks for a mentor at certain terminals. Some terminals are stealing trainers from other terminals when they are short. It just depends on where you're located. Looking around probably won't do you much good. By the time you get squared away with someone else your trainer would be waiting for you. But, if it makes you feel any better, go to orientation for another company and tell them whoever gets you in a truck first is the big winner. Maybe that will light a fire under someones butt. I'd even give the boys at Swift a call and tell them exactly what you're going to do. Maybe they will magically find a trainer for you if they know you're gonna bail on them. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with NevadaJim: At a minimum, I would call Swift and discuss the issue....before leaping into another problem. If they trained you by way of their schooling, more than likely you signed something, thus you will more than likely have already acquired a legal obligation to them.

If you signed any kind of promissory note, agreement, contract, or whatever with Swift or a school that they paid for....at least invest $50 or whatever to get a lawyers opinion before doing anything that could cause you further problems.

You can do whatever you choose, but in my opinion, the intelligent person will go into CYA mode before making a move in a situation like this.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.