Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior101
I don't know if I wand a dump but I know
Quote:
I want a truck where I can make money and not lose money.
If anyone know any other fields in trucking that make good money I would like to hear about it because I would definitely look into it.

I dont believe that truck has been invented yet.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Rookie
Default truck

That makes me sad hahah.

I know truck expenses suck and probably always will but I don't want to get a truck that does nothing but break down. These engines are designed to go a 1,000,000 miles. I just wish everything on the truck would.

What area in trucks do you think is best for a young person like me to get into. I just want to know all my options and maybe if you guys know some better routes I can look into them.

???
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior101
That makes me sad hahah.

I know truck expenses suck and probably always will but I don't want to get a truck that does nothing but break down. These engines are designed to go a 1,000,000 miles. I just wish everything on the truck would.

What area in trucks do you think is best for a young person like me to get into. I just want to know all my options and maybe if you guys know some better routes I can look into them.

???
this isnt what you want to hear, but you REALLY need to drive for someone for at least a year and see if its really for you. pretend like its your truck and see what kind of income you would have, you will probably see that it wont be much different. if you buy a truck with no experience, you will pay dearly for insurance and will have a hard time getting work. and what happens if you hate it? You will lose your shirt when you sell the truck ( if you can sell it) I have owned 3 trucks in the past and NEVER had as much left to spend as I do now driving a company truck, whatever you do, good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Mackman, Mack2, marylandkw, floored all are people to talk to for advice.
I am not sure if I am charmed or insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
this isnt what you want to hear, but you REALLY need to drive for someone for at least a year and see if its really for you. pretend like its your truck and see what kind of income you would have, you will probably see that it wont be much different. if you buy a truck with no experience, you will pay dearly for insurance and will have a hard time getting work
Fredog is only partialy correct. He should have said REALLY REALLY REALLY :lol:

A dump truck is alot different than any other beast on the road and it is super easy to do super bad things to it really quick if you are inexperienced. Now everyone has a first day, but wouldn't you prefer to do it in someone else's truck? Even if only for a year, you will gain insite and knowledge much more valuable than costly mistakes on a start up business.

Now lets say you got it in your head to do it. You gotta have that truck, you might succeed. But are you prepared for how much money you are going to need to embark on this endeavor? Perfect example, I picked up my nice new truck last week. I hit a deer the second day and had a flat tire on the third day. Not to mention you will need to pay for fuel yourself until your settlements start to filter in. Are you prepared for tax and tags? If you decide to buy a dump truck, IMHO, you should have at least 40K in reserves before you start anything and that is after you buy your truck.

Now what I am about to say will likely get me banned from this board and shunned for years but.......Macks are strong reliable trucks that ride awful, have even more awful power and even worse cabs. There I said it. Before you buy a Mack, make sure you drive a few others, KW's Internationals, and even Peterbilts. Get a feel for what you could put up with as far as noise and ride. I can't even hear my jake break in my cab and I can stretch my feet out (no small task at 6'4")

You really gotta be careful about buying a used dump truck, they can have the life destroyed outta them. The first thing I think when I see a low mileage dump truck for sale is "why" and most low millage dumps my friends and myself have put on the block are full of gremlins.

I am not saying you can't do it, but it sure would help to get some time in someone else's first.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Rookie
Default insurance

From what Ive heard because I'm 19 and have no experience in a truck insurance companies will charge a boat load more for employers. I thought because of that I wouldn't be able to get hired in a dump truck till at least 25 with 2 years experiences before I am able to drive.

Does anyone know what trucking I can do where I would make 20 an hour or more starting pay(locally not a few days drive there and back). I need that money in order to pay the bills. 10 an hour just isn't cutting it and its making life to slow for me. I want to do the things 20yr olds do ha. Not only have enough money for sitting at home. I live in San Diego, CA if you need to know.

Any suggestions??
Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Board Regular

Hey warrior101. I agree with the veterans on this. Start out driving for someone, get a feel for it, and make sure this is what you want to do. I'm 21 and from Ohio. I know that must of the dump trucking in my area the companies want you to be at least be 21 or older and have at least 2 years experience and I'm sure it is the same everywhere else. I admire your ambition but you should think it through a little bit more. Not many people will want to entrust a load upon a 19 year old with no experience that is a self employed contractor. In getting your own truck you will have a truck payment, insurance for it, fuel costs, etc. Get some experience in the business before you decide to go out on your own. BOL
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Board Regular

Its me again. Being 19 you cant drive out of state with a commerical rig of any kind. It will be hard for you to get on locally as well. There is a lot of competition for the local jobs because everyone wants them. Most of the guys with local driving jobs have spent years OTR and have paid their dues out on the road to get it. The $20 an hour you want is ridiculous!! Lets say you are OTR and get paid .30cpm a decent starting amount for a beginner. You drive 60 mph for 9 hours. You'll being making $18 dollars an hour. But thats OTR. Must local companies pay about anywhere for $7 to $13 here in Ohio. If you want to do local looking into U.S. Xpress. You would have to get a class A. I do know that they have some local in the big city areas in Calf. but those positions are limited. BOL
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Rookie
Default thanks

I'm loving all this advise even though a lot of is it disappointing. Keep it coming!

:lol:
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Rookie

I have been thinking that this sound impossible to do unless I'm 21. I keep seeing people doing this that look around my age. I thought I could but I guess I probably cant unless anyone knows where to start at 19 ha ha with out being the owner operator.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Mackman, Mack2, marylandkw, floored all are people to talk to for advice.
I am not sure if I am charmed or insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
this isnt what you want to hear, but you REALLY need to drive for someone for at least a year and see if its really for you. pretend like its your truck and see what kind of income you would have, you will probably see that it wont be much different. if you buy a truck with no experience, you will pay dearly for insurance and will have a hard time getting work
Fredog is only partialy correct. He should have said REALLY REALLY REALLY :lol:

A dump truck is alot different than any other beast on the road and it is super easy to do super bad things to it really quick if you are inexperienced. Now everyone has a first day, but wouldn't you prefer to do it in someone else's truck? Even if only for a year, you will gain insite and knowledge much more valuable than costly mistakes on a start up business.

Now lets say you got it in your head to do it. You gotta have that truck, you might succeed. But are you prepared for how much money you are going to need to embark on this endeavor? Perfect example, I picked up my nice new truck last week. I hit a deer the second day and had a flat tire on the third day. Not to mention you will need to pay for fuel yourself until your settlements start to filter in. Are you prepared for tax and tags? If you decide to buy a dump truck, IMHO, you should have at least 40K in reserves before you start anything and that is after you buy your truck.

Now what I am about to say will likely get me banned from this board and shunned for years but.......Macks are strong reliable trucks that ride awful, have even more awful power and even worse cabs. There I said it. Before you buy a Mack, make sure you drive a few others, KW's Internationals, and even Peterbilts. Get a feel for what you could put up with as far as noise and ride. I can't even hear my jake break in my cab and I can stretch my feet out (no small task at 6'4")

You really gotta be careful about buying a used dump truck, they can have the life destroyed outta them. The first thing I think when I see a low mileage dump truck for sale is "why" and most low millage dumps my friends and myself have put on the block are full of gremlins.

I am not saying you can't do it, but it sure would help to get some time in someone else's first.
the new Granites ride pretty decent, I have talked to a lot of owners of other brandsa and they all say the Macks hold up better than anything else in heavy dumptruck work.