User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default No "OTR" Experience

I need some advice. I have been driving local for a couple of years (Heavy Wrecker) and I'm moving to Greensboro NC in the next month. When I get up there, I would like to run regional with someone. I am looking at TMC (I don't mind flatbed) and a couple of other companies. My issue is that because I went to school so long ago and have no OTR time, most companies I've talked to kinda give me the cold shoulder. I don't want to go with anyone of the "Top 5" List (of places to stay away from lol). Who should I be contacting?

One catch, I would like to spend as little time with a trainer as possible (read ideal=0). I can deal with a couple of weeks if need be but I wouldn't be happy about it :sad:
Old 01-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Good luck. Without those three little letters, OTR, most companies are going to want you to go through school and full training again. You might try to check around and see if you can get on with some of the refresher training some companies offer.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I never understood this. My theory is that is by using a narrow definition of experience they try to keep wages depressed.

I have to hit more tight docks in a day of P&D than some OTRers will see in a month.

Using the criteria of most OTR companies a Million Mile LTL driver that has gone over Donner Pass twice a night for years is equal to someone with the ink still drying on his CDL.

Try and find a smaller company or an O/O who has a more realistic definition of experience.

The guy who trained me at Con-Way drove grain trucks on his family farm in WA decades ago. He and his wife got their CDLs and were able to make good money teaming for an O/O on a % of the load basis.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Bwfore taking issue with the no OTR experience, you need to consider that you also have no tractor trailer experience.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Bwfore taking issue with the no OTR experience, you need to consider that you also have no tractor trailer experience.
Not true. I also run our tri-axle drop deck. I do 2-3 local runs a week in it. And if you think getting around town in a tractor pulling a 53' trailer is fun, add a 43' long wrecker in front of the combo. Backing up is "fun".
Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

OTR has a MENTAL challenge not experienced by local drivers. Then there is learning time management OTR, fueling, parking, scheduling, showering, eating, sleeping, etc. Training is also required to learn how to secure a load PROPERLY the TMC way. I'm not knocking any other drivers but I have YET to see a non-TMC driver secure their load the way we do I don't care HOW good they THOUGHT they were, I was ALWAYS better and safer.
You'll need to learn how to use a log book, the Qualcom system, talk/relate to your fleet manager, and also how to complete and return your paperwork.
There is a LOT to learn in a short time (especially with TMC) that you probably have never even considered. My opinion? Take the training. It's well worth it.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Board Regular

I really don't see why he would need a trainer, he has a CDL, he knows how to drive, why would you need to go out with a trainer just to drive OTR? Driving is all the same whether it's local or OTR, personally I think local drivers would have better experience because they spend more time driving in a city environment, backing up to docks, dealing with customers, than someone fresh out of training driving OTR

the only thing you might need to learn if you don't alrealy know is the log books, and going into flatbed he will have to learn their proper way to secure the load, and probably spend some time in orientation to learn their policies and paperwork, but I don't see why he would need to go out on the road with a trainer

I don't know how it is any more of a mental challenge, does a rookie straight out of training have any more ability to deal with life on the road than someone with several years of local driving? At least someone with some local experience knows how to handle a truck

I never had any OTR experience when I started OTR, just local and shunting experience and I never had to take any kind of training, and I know I wouldn't have liked to go with a trainer anyway, all I had to do was go out with their training guy in the truck for a road test, and spend a few days in training to learn their policies and paperwork

I know some of the smaller companies would hire you without training, I started out with a smaller company OTR and I never had any formal training at all, I really would stay away from the big companies, I personally don't like the big companies
Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Going out with a trainer helped me learn how to "deal" with the fleet managers. What I could and couldn't "get away with" saying or doing. I also learned which shippers were good and which to avoid. We are not forced dispatch and so choosing your load can make or break your paycheck.
Also, while out with a trainer, TMC tries to give you a wide variety of loads so the new driver is exposed to securing different types of freight the "TMC-way". The trainer can also see if the new driver SUCKS, has a bad attitude or in general, is not TMC material. Even 10 years experience does NOT make a good driver. I've seen MANY veteran drivers who never had any formal training driving rolling time bombs in that their load securement was extremely poor. Bad habits get ingrained and have to be broken or overcome or that driver can work his 11th year elsewhere, not at TMC.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="GoldiesPlating"]OTR has a MENTAL challenge not experienced by local drivers. , showering,

So that's why the local guys smell so much. :lol:
Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Senior Board Member

For someone who has no OTR time, you sure do seem picky about your wants and dislikes!!!

As others have so correctly pointed out, OTR training involves more than the issue of competence involved with operating a truck. It also has to do with things like proper trip planning, fuel networks, certain DOT issues, and learning the in's and out's and the do's and don'ts that apply to some of the clients that you will be serving. There is also a considerable amount of truth to learning about how the company that you drive for operates.

As far as I'm concerned, any driver who has never driven OTR, but thinks that he knows too much to undergo OTR training is a driver that a company is better off without.

See about taking a refresher course, then suck it up, and roll with a trainer for a little while!!! You'll be truly amazed at what all you can learn!!!