User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ANY ADVICE ON WORKING FOR SWIFT?

I AM A ROOKIE AND PLAN ON GOING TO WORK FOR SWIFT. CAN ANY BODY GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Check out other alternatives first!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Do you have your CDl already ?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Board Regular

Keep your nose clean for a year, and move on if you like.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Board Regular

Lately, I've talked to alot of drivers from swift and most are happy there. Despite the low starting pay (which they made a huge improvement in) they are getting the miles and making money. Many on this board are complaining about not getting miles, but brag of the CPM they get. High CPM with low runs doesn't pay the bills. Each company has good and bad points so don't judge a company on CPM alone. Run with them for a year and if you're happy stick around. After the first year if you feel like running for greener pastures at least you have your CDL and a year under your belt on the road. Despite what the naysayers have to offer, there's nothing wrong with using Swift to get your CDL and learn the ropes. If you aren't lazy, and want to run, Swift will keep you moving. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

NevadaJim;

I think that there is a lot of truth to what you are saying. There is no perfect company, and there is no perfect driving job. I HAVE heard that since the departure of Jerry Moyes, things have improved considerably at Swift.

Still, I would suggest checking out other alternatives as well!!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Board Regular

Swift isn't any worse or any better then most of the larger training outfits, basically it's going to be as good or as bad as you let it or make it. By that I mean, alot depends on your Mentor and you. Like every other company out there they have both bad and good trainers...........I was lucky I guess, mine was very professional and wise. He didn't have to high of an opinion about most of the new trainers.

In essence you're paying for the training, so get your money's worth. You'll be getting a case load of paper work in your orientation.......part of that will be a package that you're supposed to take with you on the truck. It has the 6 weeks period organized into benchmarks that you're aiming for. You'll be recording your progress, let your trainer know from the get go that you'll be adhering to the program and you expect him to as well...... he's got to sign off on each benchmark that you achieve..........that includes the backing. If he objects to it that's a pretty good sign that you need to get a different trainer. Call or better yet walk in before you even leave the yard and inform the training manager that your current Mentor doesn't quit share the same philosophy of the company when it comes to tracking the training progress and that you have doubts as to the quality of the training the Mentor has in mind. Be proactive in your training period.........ask questions as to why the Mentor did this......why he did that and the reasoning behind it. Why did he set up that way instead of approaching it this way. Ask questions that you don't understand...........logging, trip planning etc., etc.......driving conditions, etc.............I've never met a driver who didn't like to talk.......

Be willing to accept some reprimands.........and understand that the anxiety of the moment may have some influence on his tone. You can pretty well bet that if you're going down a 6-8% grade and you're not in ANY gear, that his tone is going to be somewhat excited when he's yelling at you to get it in gear........ especially if your running heavy. Or if you're about to back into the fender of the rig beside you......... things like that tend to cause the adrenaline to start flowing and his tone may be a little rough. He's trying to get your attention. My first load with my Mentor had us heading to some Consignor in eastern NC........just past Ashville, there's a 6% grade on I-40.........My Mentor hadn't allowed me to use the jake brakes yet and after checking brakes at the brake check point, he had me start down the grade in the proper gear. Now an experienced driver wouldn't have a problem doing it in the proper gear, but, I being the proud owner of a newly acquired steering wheel holder certificate, did exactly as they said to do it in school. Brake to get down 5 mph below the posted speed then let off............repeat, repeat, repeat..........about half way down the low air alarm went off. Being the cautious individual I am, I told him I was pulling over and stopping. By time I got over and just before stopping the emergency brakes popped. Just like they're suppose too under low pressure........... He told me to get out and walk around the rig. Smell that he asked. That's not hot brakes..........that's hot rubber. The trailer brakes locked. I asked him if I was in the wrong gear, he said I could have been one lower, but the point was he purposely set the situation up, so I would experience what it was like to lose your brakes on a downhill grade. Without me telling you what to do, you did exactly what you should have done.........you stopped. Now let's let the pressure build back up and we'll head on down the road....... when we got in, he reached over and flipped the jakes on. Nice guy, but it taught me a valuable lesson.

The only time I remember him raising his voice was in Dallas, when a construction truck pulling a concrete mixer behind it was in front of us and the hitch broke off..........no safety chains and here was this mixer weaving back and forth across our lane............by time he yelled left, I was already making my move into the far right lane and straddling the shoulder edge to avoid the mixer.............after we got past it, he asked why I went right instead of left............I told him the right was open, I had a car beside me on the left. It was in his blind spot from the jump set and he never saw it........... he just smiled and said see why I've harped on know your space around you. The next day, which started our last week, he told me we were going to start running like a team and wanted me to see what it was going to be like when I got on my own.

Some of the guys and girls I went through orientation didn't fare as well with their Mentors..........several changed Mentors, several just got fed up and quit.

Several things to remember during your training..........you're a guest in your Mentor's home on wheels..........be respect full of his space and equipment. Offer to help with the house keeping duties. Keep your space organized, neat and clean. Keep your gear together. Don't just assume that you're entitled to use his equipment. Don't get your underwear knotted up if you get reprimanded, assuming that it's done in the proper manner. At the same time don't take crap from him or her either.

Keep a diary of the daily events. Make notes about such things as T/S, eating and fueling places that you come across........they'll come in handy later on if you're in that area again. Keep a log of places you bump docks at and what if any special conditions to be mind full of .........this too will come in handy for future use. It's 6 weeks of learning, make the most of it............your time for solo will come soon enough and the better prepared you are, the better your chances for avoiding those little things that can bite your butt.

And, like some have advised here already..........take a safety bank roll or a credit card for the unexpected. The nice guy or gal you meet at the terminal may end up being a maniac once you get on the road. If you don't feel safe.........don't hesitate getting off the truck. Call your Training Manager on your cell phone and tell him where you are and why you got off the truck immediately.

Unfortunately you have no control over your Mentor, other than what you allow him or her to get away with. Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights...........just do it in a professional manner.

Good luck ............. be safe, be smart and above all...........be professional.........that little piece of plastic in your wallet indicates that you're a commercial driver now......... be a professional one.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

wow can u boil that dowm a little .
Old 01-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Board Regular

when i went thru that i just keep my mouth shut and watch out.you can get a 100 different instructions but what matters is NEVER BUMP INTO ANY THING GOING FOREWARD OR BACKWARD! thats all you need.its your career and your family.if some one says hurry up the red flag goes up.the rest comes from repetition and after a while you are sitting in your mobile office listening to 2 radios.if you get out and look people think you know what your doing.dont ask permission just do it.if your training is deducted from your paycheck it can go to your next job but avoid that at all costs for 1 year.my company requires 2 years experience.safety fisrt
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

You know lifespalette ... Some of your post are fairly large, and I will; be honest with you. Some times they are so large I skim through them instead of reading the whole post. You had a lot of what I thought was very good advise here and I read every word ( twice ). 2 thumbs up!