User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

last 6 months, cool. 8) ops: i was thinking last 7 days plus today ops: sorry. shucks i stayed stoned on crack and drunk all thru cdl school and orientation and then the first 6 months driving, i think, or maybe i am just an old burned out hippie, yea that is it. :? arty:
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Let's ALL try to be more ACCURATE in any figures we post for the newbies - and each other!
You're right golfhobo. I guess to be super human is a problem I'll have to work on. But as a mere mortal I have a long way to go.

kc0iv
It would TAKE a "super human" to understand ALL the regs! And nobody expects you (or me) to BE one. But, SOME of these regs are fairly simple to remember and quote properly for the newbies. I'm SURE you know your stuff! I just meant that we should be careful NOT to make silly mistakes on some of the more BASIC issues that newbies wonder about.

Besides.... I was actually talking to that Crackhead, ChopperBob!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Default Slow freight

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm a Werner noobie. I say this not to invite ridicule (I've prolly already heard it ), but to establish the fact that there's a limit to how flexible my logging can be.

As I see it, to get good runs, I've got to distinguish myself from the 300 or so other drivers my dispatcher is handling.

I'm only going to drive 70 hours in 8 days - whether I do that in 6.4 days or 8 days is a function of when freight I'm close to is available.

Now I can distinguish myself by refusing to move freight because I've set a limit under the allowable 11 for relatively arbitrary reasons - or I can distinguish myself by taking freight when it's available knowing full well that my dispatcher knows the status of my clocks and (theoretically) plans with those in mind. No matter how much I drive, I'm going to get 10 hours sleep per day.

Aren't the hours "additive", meaning that if I don't consume them in one 70 hour period, they'll be available in the next 70 hour period?

Sure, I hate the idea of sitting in Armpit, UT for 34 hours - but if my dispatcher is playing favorites, I want to be one of them.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or comments.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You cannot carry hours over from one 70 hours period to another. What you can do is reset the clock with a 34 hour break. Once you take the 34 hours, you have 70 hours again.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You cannot carry hours over from one 70 hours period to another. What you can do is reset the clock with a 34 hour break. Once you take the 34 hours, you have 70 hours again.
Gman: You might want to revist this one. I think the poster meant "can he carry unused hours out of his 70 OVER the 8 day period."

As the 8 day period is a "rolling" period, any unused hours out of his 70 WOULD be available for the next day (and added to what he gets back from the 8th day back,) or if not used, would be available for the NEXT day. Am I right?

There's no such thing as a "70 hour period." Only an 8 day period.

I think Mowman is offering a valuable point for discussion:

Should one try to limit his daily hours to the Crackaces system of 8.75 so as NEVER to HAVE to take a 34 hour reset? Or should he take the loads as offered, even if it burns up his hours and he HAS to reset?

Not being a Solo driver, this rarely becomes an issue for me.... so I am NOT stating facts or answers. Merely trying to "clarify" the question, so that the poster gets the best answer.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Mowman- your dispatcher has 300 drivers? Yowza!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Should one try to limit his daily hours to the Crackaces system of 8.75 so as NEVER to HAVE to take a 34 hour reset? Or should he take the loads as offered, even if it burns up his hours and he HAS to reset?

Not being a Solo driver, this rarely becomes an issue for me.... so I am NOT stating facts or answers. Merely trying to "clarify" the question, so that the poster gets the best answer.
Ya? well you lost me there :? You trying to say there is a way to drive without resetting? I thought you had to reset period.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Yes, I see what you mean, Golfhobo. I think I misread his post.

Glasman2, you are not required to take the 34 hour reset. It is only an option, which you are legally entitled to take, if you want. As long as you don't exceed your 70 hours within an 8 day period, you will not run out of hours and don't need to reset your clock. Before the last hos change, I would sometimes pace myself where I could continue running without sitting over night to gain more hours. It is an individual decision. Since the 34 restart, I usually run harder and take the reset. I think the reset is the only good thing about the new hours of service which works for the driver. It does help to have a day to rest.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

OK understand now, thanks.
I agree needing time to rest more so if your new and not use to driving all the time. Plus give you some site seeing time in, if your in an area to do it.