User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents. A Volvo is a pretty heavy truck for flatbed isn't it?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

if I were to buy a truck, I would go new, a used truck will need work, I heard storys of guys buying a volvo and 2 weeks later spend $3000 to get it fixed, I think I would do new, get lots of miles and pay it off in 3 years......

New truck hhmmmm maybe a kenworth w900 with an auto trannie , make is a shiny bright red .....now the engine mmmm I like cat or a detroit ....., there all good but I like cat for the mountains...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
if I were to buy a truck, I would go new, a used truck will need work, I heard storys of guys buying a volvo and 2 weeks later spend $3000 to get it fixed, I think I would do new, get lots of miles and pay it off in 3 years......

New truck hhmmmm maybe a kenworth w900 with an auto trannie , make is a shiny bright red .....now the engine mmmm I like cat or a detroit ....., there all good but I like cat for the mountains...

Sounds good but I'm affraid those payments would eat me alive :rock:
Old 01-06-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Just my two cents. A Volvo is a pretty heavy truck for flatbed isn't it?

Why do you say that? Just curious
Old 01-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie at 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I would want to see a history on the truck. Cummins could do that for you and tell you about any major work that has been done. I suggest doing an oil analysis and dyno. You could also have the computer checked and that would tell you a lot about the truck. You may want to have a mechanic give it a once over. Before you buy any equipment, you may want to check on insurance. If you have had a CDL for a number of years, it may not be that difficult to find insurance. Insurance tends to be difficult to get and afford without current experience. It isn't impossible, but something to check before you start spending money. From your post, I gather you plan on getting your own authority. Doing that will be your largest expense after the cost of the equipment. Good luck.
Thanks GMAN, if you don't mind I have a few more questions. Do you think that 450 cum. is a strong enough motor through the mountains? Do you think that the going price for the truck is a fair price?
I appreciate your help.

The 450 is more than enough to do the job. We used to do pull with a lot less power. The first truck I owned had 238 hp. The price you noted seems to be about average for the year. One thing to keep in mind with that many miles, is that you are closer to having an overhaul unless engine work has already been done. You could go more than a million miles before needing an overhaul, but you need to look at the norm. I don't know about a Cummins, but it is about 750,000 miles for a series 60 Detroit.