User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question for experienced OTR drivers please?

Hi!

I am considering going with JB Hunt and doing OTR, I have never done this, I am doing local P&D now, my main objective would be to save money by getting rid of a house payment, car payment and so on. What companies out there are considered the best to work for? What do you think about doing all 48, I am single never married and no kids, my girlfried already has a kid and does't want another so I also see it as an escape. I would appreciate feed back, and thanks once again!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Look for a company that will meet your personal needs. There are several who will hire inexperienced drivers and train them to driver otr. Swift, Roehl, Covenant, US Xpress, Millis, Schneider, etc., Check on the company's listings on this board and they will list their requirements. If home time is important, then you need to find a carrier who will get you home at specific intervals. They need to travel lanes near to your home.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Board Regular

Try Wiley Sanders. They have a training program for OTR it is 8 weeks but very good. Once you go solo you can go OTR or regional. Check to see if you are in theirhiring area.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question for experienced OTR drivers please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I am single never married and no kids, my girlfried already has a kid and does't want another so I also see it as an escape.
Chris,

Please take a look and read the part of your statement that I highlighted. I am troubled by that. Perhaps I am unclear on exactly what it is that you are trying to escape; yet, when I read that you are wanting to get rid of a house payment and a car payment, it does concern me.

As far as not having a home, and living F/T out of your truck, I will say that it sounds like a neat idea at first, but there are some serious pitfalls as well. Now, I am not saying that living out of your truck, staying out on the road constantly, and occasionally springing for a night in a motel can not work, but I have not seen it work for the people that I know who have tried it. The drivers that I know who have tried it wound up spending their money on other things, and never built anything for themselves in financial terms.

None of what I am saying here is etched in stone. I'm sure that someone out there has been able to live out of their truck, and build some degree of financial success.

As someone else pointed out on another thread, if anything happens, and you leave the company that you work for, or your truck has to go into the shop for a couple of days, you instantly become homeless. Try living out of a walk-in closet for two weeks. Sleep in it, cook your meals in it, and if you need to use the restroom or take a shower, remember that you will not have a hallway bathroom to use.

Need to go somewhere??

Keep your car parked; you won't be driving it. (that is, unless you intend to by a cheap used car for cash, in which case you'll need to ask yourself where you intend to park it while you are out!) Taxi cabs can become very expensive very quickly.

It's not all so much fun.

BOL2U.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Board Member

If you have friends and family you can stay with that is a great way to get rid of the house payment but you will want somewhere to stay once in a while outside of the truck
Old 12-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Syl77dar,

I'm not trying to be a backseat moderator here, and I am not wanting to criticize you, either.

Having said that, would you mind taking off the "CAP LOCK"??

Some of us here are dyslexic, and I am severely dyslexic. I think that you raised some valid points, but it literally causes a lot of eye strain when you write in solid caps and don't use paragraphs.

Please understand, I am not wanting to take you to task here. Unless you are dyslexic, you probably have no way of understanding where I'm coming from.

Sorry to hear that things have turned sour at JB Hunt since Mr. Hunt's passing. I'd heard problems about them in the past, but I also know that in a company that large, wires do often tend to get crossed.

I knew that Mr. Hunt was active in leading his company up until the time that he died, but I was not aware that his death had thrown the company into total disarray. Any word from the inside on what the future for the company holds??

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you!!
Useless

Many Thanks,
Useless
Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: PROBABLY BANKRUPTCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
PROBABLY BANKRUPTCY OR SELLING OUT TO ANOTHER COMPANY!!!
Looking at the 10 year growth rate for JBHT sure doesn't show they have a problem. In fact it was pretty flat until 2003 where it took a good steep rise. Going from about $4 dollars per share to a high of about $24-1/2 per share. It closed friday at $20.96.

They showed a 7% growth rate over last year's fourth quarter. Their net earning showed a 5% increase over the previous year's earnings. I'd say thats a pretty good net earning increase.

If anything I'd say their in good shape. No where do I see a bankruptcy in the near future.

kc0iv
Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I believe he retired a few years ago, so whom ever is leading the company seems to be doing a good job for the shareholders. I don't know about the drivers. Sheepdancer is a recruiter for them. He could probably answer any of your questions. Companies as large as JB Hunt rarely go bankrupt. The government would not allow that to happen. There would be too many repercussions.