User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Private carrier, looking for opinions

OK Guys and Gals:

My buddies and I have a 50' Kentucky drop trailer transporter. We've converted it to a stacker. It holds 5 race cars. The tare on the trailer is 22,600# and loaded for the races is about 38,000#. It came / a beater 87 Volvo/White tractor. I had the fuel pump dialed up, but still no love. Now we're on the hunt for something w/ some balls. I'd like to spend between $18k and $25k. What should I look for? We may put drivers in from time to time. The tracks w/in 5 hrs I'd drive out myself. Lurking the Inet we've seen the Intl 9200's and 9400's in MY's 97-00. Freightliners too, but w/ about a million different models :roll: My wants are a conventional w/ a sleeper, 425 hp, don't know what ratio or gearbox ('cept I know I don't want autoshift). Tandem axels. Why do I want alum wheels? Weigh less or just good looks? This thing will only be on the road about 30 day/year and probably between 5 and 10k miles in that time. What should my other criteria be? Here's the transporter, holla when you go by :wink:
Let's hear your thoughts! Thx.

[/img]
Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Do you race in the Grand-AM/ Rolex series?

Or is that a NASA car?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not worry too much about the type of truck, if that is the only amount of miles you will be driving. You can get into a 98-99 T600 for the amount of money you want to spend. You could also get into a International 9400 Eagle, probably with the same year models. I own both and they are decent trucks. Volvo also makes a good truck. You may find an older W900 or 379 around $25M, if you like the hoods. I would probably go with one of the big three engines, Cummins, Detroit, CAT. I prefer CAT. A 10 speed would do fine, but you could bump it up to a 13 speed for not much more money. I would probably go with the 72" sleeper. I don't know if fuel mileage is important, but rears around the mid 300's would work well for pulling and fuel economy. If you won't be using the sleeper, then you could go with a 48" or so sleeper.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Rookie

OTR...we do Porsche Club of America and Porsche Owners Club mainly. Mostly the no contact clubs...I've got enough stuff to buy besides body panels :wink:

Talked to a guy whose trying to get my PM business for my fleet, says he has a line on a Pete (don't know the model)...he's done the pm from the start and did an inframe about 300k ago. Says owner got his $'s worth out of the rig and is looking to dump cheap. He knows it inside/out says its a solid truck. That'll probably be my starting point. Other than another gear, what the diff between an Eaton Fuller 9 speed (what I have on my power units) and a 10 speed and a super 10? Are rebuilds $$$ on the 10's and 13's? Thx Guys!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah I hear ya... I dabbled in NASA's CMC group for a bit. It was like freaking bumper cars out there.
Nice ride by the way.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

How soon are you looking to buy a truck ? I'm selling my T-800 right now, if you want info on it give me a pm. :wink: