User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Crete, TMC Or Roehl?

Hi All, 1st. post here...As a new driver what company will I make the most money at in my first year?
Thanks for any help
Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Board Regular

Off the 3, Your highest first year earning potential would be at TMC. They key is "potential". A driver making .28 cpm can make more than a driver making .32 cpm, if the driver making .28 cpm drives more miles than the driver making .32 cpm.

Your ability to manage your time will be the key factor in you making money. So keep your left door closed and the pedal to the metal and you will make money. Spend all day playing video games at truck stops and you will be broke. The choice is yours.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Off the 3, Your highest first year earning potential would be at TMC. They key is "potential". A driver making .28 cpm can make more than a driver making .32 cpm, if the driver making .28 cpm drives more miles than the driver making .32 cpm.

Your ability to manage your time will be the key factor in you making money. So keep your left door closed and the pedal to the metal and you will make money. Spend all day playing video games at truck stops and you will be broke. The choice is yours.
A TMC driver at 32% by definition is driving more miles than a TMC driver at 28%. Otherwise he would not be at 32%. This level is very hard to achieve and he has to be putting in his miles and not taking weekends off. Long Haul is more likely to be at a higher percentage than Line Haul. Don't let me put words in your mouth if you didn't mean percentage than cent per mile. Almost all TMC drivers are percentage rather than mileage. The number given us was 100, out of almost 3,000 ,are on mileage.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:46 AM

I was just talking to a Roehl driver the other day and he seemed pretty satisfied. He was telling me about all their different programs which all sounded pretty good, then he said "but there's a down side". Just like that the receiver came in and signed his bills and he left. I never DID hear about the down side.

Anyway, Lots of recruiters used to come in where I worked, and I always thought Roehl's deal sounded pretty good. They seemed to understand that this is a family thing, that it wasn't just the driver that had to be satisfied. They had programs in place to help your family adapt to the new situation, so you could be successful on the road and keep peace and stability at home. I don't know how well any of this works, but the other carrier's guys never even breathed the word "family" in their presentation.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Board Regular

Yes, I am aware that TMC pays by percentage verses cpm. The point, I was trying to explain to hstern, is not to get overly worked up looking at the rates that companies pay. Because this is only one factor in home much money you will make.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Rookie

How does the percentage-based pay work? Is the percentage-based pay on what TMC charges the shipper to ship the load?

I also called Crete and Roehl to speak to there recruiters. I ask what does a new driver out of school make the first year with at there company.

Crete said $45k - $48k and Roehl said $33k to $38k(but with more home time). What would a new driver make at TMC in the first year for all the extra work in flatbedding?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Choices

After all the research and meandering around on CAD and on other sites and getting all the info I found that TMC was the choice for me. Career change at 47 you do a LOT of pondering and contemplating and do PLENTY of homework, believe me a lot of research went into my choice.
1st. PAY-% always pays better in the long run. I had my own business for 10yrs and after all is said and done % wins.
2nd. HOME TIME- 46 out of 52 is very generous, unless of course your a dedicated account. To me kind of boring, same ol`same ol`type of runs. I gotta see and do different things everyday. I guess I"m ADHD LOL.
3rd. RIDER PROGRAM- Can have my family ride with me at times. I have a 6 yr old grandson and TMC's policy is 5yrs old.
4th. NO TOUCH FREIGHT- I unloaded tons of Sh!t working for WallyWorld, if i never touch a pallet of freight again it'll be to soon.
5th. TMC is flatbedding, keeps you in shape, I like to be able to see my vital organ....... you get the picture.
6th. I guess I could go on and on but one more.
7th. BE THE BEST, EXPECT THE BEST, DEMAND THE BEST, WORK FOR THE BEST!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks AsphaltBound for the post...very helpful
Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Default Comapny to Work for,,,

Hstern,

I'll second Asphalts comments below. I am on my last week of training with Tmc and I am glad I made the choice to Flat-bed with TMC. I am an ex-driver albeit 25 plus years and the refresher course, along with TMC's 10 day orientation and out with a trainer has been a good experience. Pm me if i can answere any other further questions. However, so far so good !!

After all the research and meandering around on CAD and on other sites and getting all the info I found that TMC was the choice for me. Career change at 47 you do a LOT of pondering and contemplating and do PLENTY of homework, believe me a lot of research went into my choice.
1st. PAY-% always pays better in the long run. I had my own business for 10yrs and after all is said and done % wins.
2nd. HOME TIME- 46 out of 52 is very generous, unless of course your a dedicated account. To me kind of boring, same ol`same ol`type of runs. I gotta see and do different things everyday. I guess I"m ADHD LOL.
3rd. RIDER PROGRAM- Can have my family ride with me at times. I have a 6 yr old grandson and TMC's policy is 5yrs old.
4th. NO TOUCH FREIGHT- I unloaded tons of Sh!t working for WallyWorld, if i never touch a pallet of freight again it'll be to soon.
5th. TMC is flatbedding, keeps you in shape, I like to be able to see my vital organ....... you get the picture.
6th. I guess I could go on and on but one more.
7th. BE THE BEST, EXPECT THE BEST, DEMAND THE BEST, WORK FOR THE BEST!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks "Back on the Road"

What would a new driver make at TMC in the first year for all the extra work in flatbedding?