User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB transmissions represent truck driving!!

I just wanted to throw it out there. If you ever wondered why non truck driving people frown on truck drivers, its because of the way you represent us on the CB. If you are one of those on the CB cussing your life away and picking fights, Im sorry, but you are a moron/idiot. There are people who have never talked to a truck driver while they were in the truck and they are listening to you while you are working and get the idea we are all like you.
I honestly wish they would do the CB like a hamm radio, no more handles but a FCC license number you identify yourself by. And you have to have a license to use a CB radio. Because the reason the CB has gone to the birds is because there are too many new guy who forgot the days when you had to have the license and just say whatever they want. Yes, I am new to trucking, but I remember being young and my dad having a license for the CB and the talk on a CB is nothing like today. But I guess its like the logbook, right? Most drivers cant seem to abide by those laws either, so why make another rule for drivers?
Anyway, my whole point, if you cant be decent on a CB, unscrew that corded thing we like to call a mic and throw it away and listen to the grown-ups talk.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:01 AM

well i think it mostly has to do with what they hear about all the time. you will hear about all the bad stuff a truck driver does. for example the crash in Marion In. last year where 5 Taylor university students were killed, actually 4 students and 1 faculty member. you can hear this all day long in the news where the truck driver fell asleep and killed someone, but when do you eve hear about the truck driver who helped pull a family out of a over turned car in the middle of the interstate??

HARDLY EVER

you will hear about the truck driver that cut a bunch of cars off on the highway, but will you ever hear about the truck driver who stopped his truck and helped someone change a flat tire???

PROBABLY NOT

see what i am getting at here. yea if they listen to some of on the radio we sound like a bunch of unruly animals but that's because that is what they choose to hear. they will only want to listen and REMEMBER the bad stuff that happens out here. they will over look a driver asking to break a channel for some local info. why? because that not anything of importance or there's no yelling so it doesn't interest them.

and another example is (and i get this all the time) that truck drivers are no Good because all we do is abuse women. were only home 1 or 2 times a month and want sex as soon as we get home and that we have girl friends on the side that out wife's don't know about or even kids with other women. stuff like this amazes me because just because a few drivers have done these bad things does not make us all that way.

these are just my opinions and experiences.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbasher
well i think it mostly has to do with what they hear about all the time. you will hear about all the bad stuff a truck driver does. for example the crash in Marion In. last year where 5 Taylor university students were killed, actually 4 students and 1 faculty member. you can hear this all day long in the news where the truck driver fell asleep and killed someone, but when do you eve hear about the truck driver who helped pull a family out of a over turned car in the middle of the interstate??

HARDLY EVER

you will hear about the truck driver that cut a bunch of cars off on the highway, but will you ever hear about the truck driver who stopped his truck and helped someone change a flat tire???

PROBABLY NOT

see what i am getting at here. yea if they listen to some of on the radio we sound like a bunch of unruly animals but that's because that is what they choose to hear. they will only want to listen and REMEMBER the bad stuff that happens out here. they will over look a driver asking to break a channel for some local info. why? because that not anything of importance or there's no yelling so it doesn't interest them.

and another example is (and i get this all the time) that truck drivers are no Good because all we do is abuse women. were only home 1 or 2 times a month and want sex as soon as we get home and that we have girl friends on the side that out wife's don't know about or even kids with other women. stuff like this amazes me because just because a few drivers have done these bad things does not make us all that way.

these are just my opinions and experiences.
Well said and 100% CORRECT! BRAVO!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

CB doesn't have anything to do with the rep we have on the road. Only a low % of 4 wheelers even have CBs. Its the media we get when a truck is involved in a accident with a car. The bad apples who go crazy and do the same thing all the other crazies who drive cars do!!! The media just needs some one to pick on, and the lawsuit involving a big truck always makes for a big payday! Makes us easy to pick on. So before you go on a mission to blame it on the way everyone talks on the CB, get some experience in the industry first, then watch the news, then read between the lines so you can make an educated guess...lol
Don't take this wrong, when your a newbie, stop, look,listen and ask QUESTIONS and then keep your mouth shut till you know what its all about....lol
Old 12-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Basically tells the entire world how long they've been behind the wheel.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
CB doesn't have anything to do with the rep we have on the road. Only a low % of 4 wheelers even have CBs. Its the media we get when a truck is involved in a accident with a car. The bad apples who go crazy and do the same thing all the other crazies who drive cars do!!! The media just needs some one to pick on, and the lawsuit involving a big truck always makes for a big payday! Makes us easy to pick on. So before you go on a mission to blame it on the way everyone talks on the CB, get some experience in the industry first, then watch the news, then read between the lines so you can make an educated guess...lol
Don't take this wrong, when your a newbie, stop, look,listen and ask QUESTIONS and then keep your mouth shut till you know what its all about....lol
So, youre telling me to keep my mouth shut basically.
Well, sorry, not gonna happen...
Im not gonna blame everything negative on the way people are on the CB. And I know I dont know everything about it I will be the first one to admit it. I notice in this profession especially, people think you are an idiot just because you havent driven for umpteen years. Ok, well what do you know about banking, marketing, sales, military, and management? I know all about all of those things. But just because I was an assistant branch manager, I never told a teller to keep his/her mouth shut and just watch. You might learn something from me just as well as I you. Different perspectives lead to different solutions. Im not new at all to a CB. I had a realistic base station from the mid 80s till the mid 90s. I lived on a big hill near st louis and could talk to people in Iowa. For that matter Id bet money that Ive talked to more people on a CB than yourself. So I did comment on my experience not as a driver but as a CB user most of my life. And its very unfortunate that such a useful item such as a CB is filled with such garbage these days. You can agree or disagree with that comment or you can disagree just because I am new to driving and dont have a clue. Im not trying to start any argument with you about anything because its really not worth arguing about. Its a comment I made and I said it with the expectation that I would step on someones toes, more for the fact they themselves were guilty of the act than because I was new to driving. But hey, if I stepped on your toes because I didnt shut up.... well crap guess you didnt need toes in the first place :shock:
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
Quote:
Im not gonna blame everything negative on the way people are on the CB. And I know I dont know everything about it I will be the first one to admit it. I notice in this profession especially, people think you are an idiot just because you havent driven for umpteen years. Ok, well what do you know about banking, marketing, sales, military, and management? I know all about all of those things. But just because I was an assistant branch manager, I never told a teller to keep his/her mouth shut and just watch. You might learn something from me just as well as I you. Different perspectives lead to different solutions. Im not new at all to a CB. I had a realistic base station from the mid 80s till the mid 90s. I lived on a big hill near st louis and could talk to people in Iowa. For that matter Id bet money that Ive talked to more people on a CB than yourself. So I did comment on my experience not as a driver but as a CB user most of my life. And its very unfortunate that such a useful item such as a CB is filled with such garbage these days. You can agree or disagree with that comment or you can disagree just because I am new to driving and dont have a clue. Im not trying to start any argument with you about anything because its really not worth arguing about. Its a comment I made and I said it with the expectation that I would step on someones toes, more for the fact they themselves were guilty of the act than because I was new to driving. But hey, if I stepped on your toes because I didnt shut up.... well crap guess you didnt need toes in the first place :shock:
You need to get a clue !!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Im not new at all to a CB. I had a realistic base station from the mid 80s till the mid 90s. I lived on a big hill near st louis and could talk to people in Iowa. For that matter Id bet money that Ive talked to more people on a CB than yourself.
I agree with most of what you say. I do find it odd that you point out on being license and illegal logbooks yet you admit to operating illegal on your CB. "I lived on a big hill near st louis and could talk to people in Iowa." Kinda like "the pot calling the kettle black."

Lets face it the "knights of the road" image went by the wayside years ago.

kc0iv
Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Maverick, not to be mean but this thread has turned into the same garbage that you hear on the CB. One persons opinion, the other doesnt like it, then the original gets mad again.

There is no excuse for 3/4 of the garbage that you hear on the CB, but Its not everywhere. Some places where there are tons of line haulers, such as garbage runs, etc, alot of the drivers have ran with each other long enough so they tend to speak more professional.

I also believe that some of the animal sounds, and garbage like that is from kids who have one in thier pickup truck, jerking around, etc.

Besides the large wrecks being telivised, we do it to ourselves. We get our image through what we are. The one on one link between us and the world is our image in a store, our image to a recieving clerk, our image our image our image. Pilots dont have a bad image when a plane wrecks, however you never hear the end of it. Pilots are paid well, but they are also clean as a whole.

IM sorry, believe me if youd like but if I walk into a S&R office with a huge gut hanging out of a shirt with 15 holes and stains, sweat pants that are the brightest of brightest red, and tennis shoes that never have seen shoe laces, with hair greased and all over---it doesnt take long for people to get the opinion they have.

When countless RVers go into Flying Hooks, Petro's, Pilots, etc or familys traveling they see us looking like sh*t and it doesnt take long to form an opinion. When you smell like a Ham, your gonna get treated like a Ham.

Wear some decent clothing, look clean, groom yourself, and we will all start to give a better image. In many areas a good truck driver makes as much if not more than the school teacher with a Masters Degree, however we are treated like the garbage of the earth because we fly into our teacher parent confrences looking just like I described, and telling the teacher we know it all.

Take a look around a busy truck stop, and tell me why it isnt hard to notice the drivers.

ON A BETTER NOTE

This is where the rookies I feel are leading the way. For the most part, the younger guys I run into out here (Im 27) appear to keep groomed well, and really try to look normal. In time we will start to get a better image.

I am not against to older generation at all. My father has been going alog for 41 years now, and he is used to running his ass off. He dresses well, he cleans up, but does miss a few showers here and there :? Its the way he is used to running, does he stink...no but he doesnt try to miss many showers either.

LOg books are a joke. Do you honestly think the HOS rules and logbooks are made by drivers and red tape types alike? OOIDA is he best chance we have for some better laws, however almost everyone will agree if you run by the book, you wont make any money. Youll find yourself driving when your tired, and resting when your awake. I am not saying to run 17 hour days, or fully run illegally, or unsafe. But there is a right way and a better way to do log books.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Slow down young one, did you not read, "don't take this wrong ". This was not an attack on you. Are you calm now...lol
The way you came in talking on this thread was a little condescending. Like you yourself knew what our problem was just out of the gate, new to the industry, wet behind the ears. I think the advice of look, listen, ask QUESTIONS, then keep your mouth shut till you know whats all about was good advice. The way you asserted yourself right out of the gate puts you in the same category as the rest of the people who don't know us. Now as far as talking on a base, a large number of base stations are worse than most drivers, and always have. I don't hear in the news about them being degenerates, lo life's or any of the rest of the things they say about drivers! Remember this: believe none of what you hear and half of what you see, then you might have the truth! One of the problems with this world is stereotyping and putting people down because of what they do into different classes. With your post, this is inadvertently what you have done.
So until you know, just sit back and learn from who you can. You cant save the world, just don't be like the rest of the world!!!
Your right about something, the CB is filled with garbage, but so are a lot of these forums, Its like most everything. Your CB talking from St Louis to Iowa is really nothing to brag about with a lot of the radios and power in big trucks today!! For that fact power and good radios have always been any drivers option for the last 30 years of my career. I guess what I'm trying to say is your CB experience doesn't give you the info you need to second guess why drivers have the rep they DO!!!
Well welcome to the industry, drive safe and dont be so gungho...lol
Merry Christmas.