User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bulkers, bulking, bulk. Hmmm

Howdy all, anyone out there doing any bulking? Dry bulk tanks? I'd like to ask a few job related questions. I'd like to especially hear from owner operators. Thanks for reading and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:41 AM

I haul cement in Pneumatics, but I'm a company driver. Ask away, and I will answer what I can.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Default Bulkers, bulking, bulk. Hmmm

Ok, I'm working for a small outfit here in the New York metro area. So far I like it. I haul plastic resin. I believe we have pneumatic tanks as well. Air pressure etc... the question is, ... as a company driver what is considered top pay in this field? If there are any owner operators out there I would like to know how lucrative would it be to become one? So far I get the basics of the job. I like the fact that its not just driving and there are some tecnical areas to tackle as well. I enjoy working around rail cars etc. I like being outside too. Thanks for any info on the subject.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Bulkers, bulking, bulk. Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Jack_Driver
Ok, I'm working for a small outfit here in the New York metro area. So far I like it. I haul plastic resin. I believe we have pneumatic tanks as well. Air pressure etc... the question is, ... as a company driver what is considered top pay in this field? If there are any owner operators out there I would like to know how lucrative would it be to become one? So far I get the basics of the job. I like the fact that its not just driving and there are some tecnical areas to tackle as well. I enjoy working around rail cars etc. I like being outside too. Thanks for any info on the subject.
Badda Bing NYC style :P
Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Top pay can and will vary. Are you an hourly employee? or do you get paid a percentage? Our top driver at my employer makes $100k a year, but he also works seven days a week most weeks. Now on the other end of it. I try and work every other weekend and only work 6 days a week when I do and will make about $62k my first full year. I will be able to tell you for sure in a week or so. We are on percentage where I work.

As for the O/O question, how long have you been doing this? I was all gung ho to buy a transfer when I first started out. Luckily for me GMAN told me to hold off and get some time in, better advice couldn't have been given. If you are new to driving, do a couple of years minimum with an employer so you can learn the business on his dime. Once you have driven for a couple of years you have the basic skills and understanding to make educated business decisions, but it will still be tough. At least then, you will know tires will go and have an idea as to how often and how expensive it can be. It takes a lot to be an O/O. You not only have to drive to run your business, but you need to be a savvy business man as well. You will have to get your own authority most likely, and then there are all the other things like your IFTA, Insurance, Heavy Use Tax, Accounting issues as well as many other things to take care of on top of the day to day driving duties. It's a risk, reward scenario just like any other business.