LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Standard Transmission vs Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie at 53
I drove trucks 20 years ago and they were just coming out with automatics I never got to drive one. I'm now 53 and thinking of driving again. I got my CDL and passed my dot phys. I would like some help on deciding on an auto or standard. Also is there a difference between an automatic and auto shift. I have been looking at Volvo 2002 -2004 Cummings 450 hp. for OTR what does everybody think. I am in Texas and am going to hall in Texas and west. Would appreciate any advise I can get.

Thanks,
Rookie at 53
Eaton has offered a number of AUTOMATED transmissions. these are manual transmissions that are shifted by a computer, similar to what exotic sports car manufacturers have been using for many years.

the eaton autoshift has a clutch pedal, but no stick. a keypad controls shift selection.

the eaton ultrashift has no clutch pedal or stick. again, a keypad (or variation of) controls shift selection. the clutch is centrifugal, meaning that it engages as the flywheel rpm increases, similar to a snowmobile/4-wheeler clutch in theory. hmmmmm, just had this thought.... a "runaway" engine could be an interesting scenario... not that it happens often today.

rockwell/A-M has variations of each type as well, their midrange centrifugal clutch is a "wet" clutch.

...manuals are AS failure prone, and they reak havoc on your knees and back IMHO...

... i'm not opposed to either.

AUTOMATIC transmissions are hydraulically engaged planetary gear sets. most current makes are electronically controlled as well.

automatics are coupled to the engine through a torque converter. they live mostly in light- and medium-duty truck... for now.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Just about every truck on our fleet are Auto's. Just about every trip we do is in the mountains, I've never heard of anyone having an out of control truck, or any serious issues with it. If you know how to drive the mountains, you aren't whipping around or for that matter not paying attention to the Speed or information signs. I'm a fairly new driver, 5 months now. I got thrown into the fray as it were with no training in the mountains, but common sense told me that they make those little signs for good reason..lol I worry now though that if I have to drive a manual it's gonna be a little bit scary for anyone watching or god forbid in the truck with me..lol.

I do like the fact though that with an auto you are concentrating on the road, rather than worrying about a misshift. This is especially helpful in the cities, where you are making tight corners and stuck in stop and go traffic. My one beef is that the auto can be a bit of a rough ride when empty, it tends to jerk you around.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quite the contrary, regarding mountains..... my auto would hold way better on the downhill than our standard trucks. That was never on my complaint list, I miss my auto for that reason.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

wow hmmm okay whats the difference between a Manly Truck and a Girlie Truck ? Answer: the transmission