LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Skywalker: How many miles per week do you REALLY "average?"
First, I didn't consider the question "confrontational"...re the other post. I know you well enough to know you didn't intend it that way. 8)

Second.... right about now, I'd have to guess at about 1800-2000. But thats a guess at this point. The reason that I say its a guess is because I've been taking alot of time off, and we've had all of the major holidays since I started with Superior, and I spent the best part of a week riding with another driver when I first started.... so I'm waiting til after New Years to try and figure out what my "averages" are. I'll probably start posting something akin to what Cyanide has been doing as soon as we get out of the holiday season.

As far as logging line 4 items, with what Cyanide and I do, the line 4 time is what covers our time for pay. With Chemical/Hazmat tankers... its definitely not all about the miles. So, covering all the bases time wise makes sure that we get paid for everything that we do.

I understand where you are coming from miles wise.... I was exactly the same way when I drove for CFI. Miles is what makes your money, unless you get lucky and get paid detention or anything else. But the bulk of your income is derived from mileage.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member

my company pays a very good wage for rookies. they invested lots of money getting me to my first year driving accident free. our layover pay is $150 after 24 hours, but they will pay it if we are dispatched earlier. as far as low pay, shucks just deal with it. damn i knew what they were gonna pay me. i don't know any other profession that starts someone over 50 with no experience at $40,000 a year. i love otr and all the hassels that come with it. if it ain't for you, well, just get out. you ain't never gonna change it by complaining about it. some of us really do like it, and feel sorry for you guys that are stuck at local, regional driving jobs. pay is higher in some companies because they want to retain their drivers, lower in some because the hire rookies mostly. if you get 1,000,000 miles safe driving you ain't gonna have to work for a rookie wages.other hand work for 3 companies and have a couple incidents in first year you gotta accept whatever you can get. lots of reasons why we got so high a turnover. if you want to haul freight figure what part you want to be involved in.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Board Regular

what company would that be?