User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think HHG is still going by HHG miles. When I worked at Allied as a company guy, they told me to write my zipcode down on my deliveries because it could mean a few extra dollars in mileage pay, depending on which side of the city my unload was at.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "ColdFrostyMug'
Can go to Mapquest right now and get address-to-address routing for any trip in the continental US. And that's exactly how a OTR driver should be paid. If he has to go OOR for any business-related reason that he can prove (construction, accident, scale a load, traffic, weather, etc) then he should be able to appeal through his dispatcher and get paid for those miles.
Actually my company uses PC Miler so the routes are truck routes. Now that is the practical miles part. In addition, they pay Hub miles so scales, fuel, accidents etc .. are paid for as long as you account for the miles. They do not pay strict hub miles so your trip to Grandma's house will not be paid for ...

They do pay a 1 - 3 cents less than some other companies so I guess it all works out in the long run.

Would you rather be paid .40 HHG .37 Practical or .35 Hub .. Oh I can guess ... .54 Hub .... :wink:
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think most carriers pay drivers on the same basis they are paid by the shipper. If a carrier is paid on practical miles, then they will probably pay the driver practical miles. If the company is paid household goods miles, then that is the way the will likely compensate their drivers. It doesn't make good business sense to pay a driver for more miles than they are being paid.
Someone please explain to this n00b Household Goods miles and Practical miles. (I'm familiar with Hub miles)
Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think most carriers pay drivers on the same basis they are paid by the shipper. If a carrier is paid on practical miles, then they will probably pay the driver practical miles. If the company is paid household goods miles, then that is the way the will likely compensate their drivers. It doesn't make good business sense to pay a driver for more miles than they are being paid.
Someone please explain to this n00b Household Goods miles and Practical miles. (I'm familiar with Hub miles)
Household miles are zip code to zip code. You lose money this way. sometimes as much as a hundred miles or more. Carrier makes out, driver gets screwed. It is called routing as the crow flies.

Practical miles are as close to hub miles as you will get. I payed practical or percentage of the load, whichever was greater. We use Prophecy routing software, and it was usually within a few miles of what the actual hub miles were.