User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Also what is the difference between Hub miles and practical miles? I know the 3rd is shortest miles and want to try to stay away from that
I only read 2 examples of mileage above, not 3. But you obviously mean HHG mileage (that is the shortest).

Loading and unloading do add extra pay, but its ridiculous what these companies will pay a lumper, and what they will pay you.

I think every co driver should get a SEPARATE 1099 for all lumping done, at lumper rates. Not this "$1 a thousand crap". If they pay $250 to wheel some pallets off the truck that takes 2 hrs, wouldn't YOU rather do it and get the $125/hr?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The pay differential is my primary complaint about driver assist unloading. These companies will pay $200 to a lumper but $40 to the driver. If they want a driver to help unload, he deserves at least the same rate of pay as a lumper. :evil:
Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Rookie
Default medical/back issues

I am in the same boat. I had back surgery in 96. I am better than I was before surgery, still in some pain, but this truck driving thing is my last option before going on dissability.
I had a pre-hire with TMC, all looked good, was all excited about it. Then I sent them the papers I had to fill out and the pre-hire went away. It might have just been coincidence, as far as them getting the papers and then turning me down, or it might have been them thinking that I couldn't do the job. I guess I'll never know.
My question is, could I be fired if I am working for a company and they find out later?
Also, my Dr is writing a letter saying that this job COULD be better for me than what I'm doing right now(construction/destruction) and also say that I could safely drive while taking my medication, which is hydrocodone, a narcotic.
Could this all work?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: medical/back issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasV
I am in the same boat. I had back surgery in 96. I am better than I was before surgery, still in some pain, but this truck driving thing is my last option before going on dissability.
I had a pre-hire with TMC, all looked good, was all excited about it. Then I sent them the papers I had to fill out and the pre-hire went away. It might have just been coincidence, as far as them getting the papers and then turning me down, or it might have been them thinking that I couldn't do the job. I guess I'll never know.
My question is, could I be fired if I am working for a company and they find out later?
Also, my Dr is writing a letter saying that this job COULD be better for me than what I'm doing right now(construction/destruction) and also say that I could safely drive while taking my medication, which is hydrocodone, a narcotic.
Could this all work?
I don't think they would ever let you drive on hydrocodone, and as far as TMC goes if you have back problems stay away from flatbed?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: medical/back issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasV
Could this all work?
"Could" is a VERY BAD word, better have him state it another way, but be honest about it. If you can't do it ... don't

Both me and 1 of my doctor's ( haven't seen the other yet ) say I can, but that's up to the employer I guess.

As far as your meds, You need to wing yourself off of them.
Hydrocodone never really helped me as far as the pain went, all it did was "Help" me sleep at night. It's better to take advil or something. Believe me or not, that med is addicting just like most pain pills.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

What you're doing now may be worse for you, but leave that out of the letter! If thye know you're in a condition exposed to risks greater than what they offer, they may be discouraged to hire on someone with a pre-existing injury that is CURRENTLY being aggrivated.

I'd go dry van, flatbed involves 100lb tarps, and having to apply 100lbs of torque on ratchets straps and such.

Food for thought.