User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I asked my boss about this, his dad is about that age and he runs a glass store and a furniture store. Well recently he decided he wanted to be a truck driver too so he went out and bought himself a 379 Pete (used) and a spread axle flatbed and is now hauling as well. His wife and son run the stores yet. He was hauling the long I-beams for the bridge project at Hoover Dam recently, and usually hauls lumber between the California Central Valley and Reno. He got himself a real good regular haul with some lumber company in reno just a couple months into it and now he works that regular I think.

Birken
Old 12-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Board Regular

Heck, if he likes trucking, he may just spend your inheritance and buy a truck and trailer and take off on his own like that other guy.

I had a friend of mine in his 60's lose his job. He had no bills other then food and utilities. House and cars all paid for and the kids gone. I told him if he liked trucking, just buy a nice used rig and hit the road with the wife. He is still thinking about it, as he can well afford a truck and even a trailer. Pay cash and work when you want!

God willing I will have my truck, trailer and house paid for by May of 07. And working when I want is exactly what I plan to do! Call it Semi- retirement!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Heck, if he likes trucking, he may just spend your inheritance and buy a truck and trailer and take off on his own like that other guy :P
Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

If he's already attended orientation, hes probably gonna be hooked. Its a decent starter company. My Dad is almost 54, he digs trucking still.

All in all, at the end of the day, if you were miserable at work, then you're putting a price on your own happiness. Does your Dad plan to retire??
Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
If he's already attended orientation, hes probably gonna be hooked. Its a decent starter company. My Dad is almost 54, he digs trucking still.
I love it, and was hooked from the first day too. And I have met a few, not many, but a few guys out here that did retire and run out and buy a truck and trailer. It can be done, and they all seemed to enjoy it, I know I do!