User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, I can only speak for myself, if any of you need help out on the road, I'm more than happy to help.....................for a small fee. :lol:
Old 12-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Board Regular

I heard that, I did
Old 12-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Trolley Brake

Can't use what's not there. Not all tractors have a trolley brake or trailer brake hand valve. BOL
Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

thats true. But you know that crow bar you use to whop lizards in the head with?? You can slide the seat forward and put it against the brake...as long as you hurry up before the next leeezard comes around :lol:
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Rookie

Okay.. So I should basically check the slack adjusters when I can and just mention the angle of all the other ones to the examiner. And yeah, the brake lights should be easy. I'll figure it out.

My next question is how to check the pads and linings etc? From the opposite side sounds like a good plan.

Geez.. I've been farm trucking for a long time now just by having an "F" endorsement on my license and I never even took inspections serious. Now I know how important they are!

To show my ignorance.. one last stupid question. Does a set of dual wheels have one brake drum or does each wheel have one?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

First of all, the CDL examiner should explain how he or she wants to check the lights with you before the test. The slack adjusters may or may not even be discussed during the test. In Wisconsin, when I was conducting the tests they were mentioned during the inspection, but it was basically that they were there and that they were securely mounted.

There is one brake drum on the rear wheels. there is one drum with two wheels bolted back to back on it.

I should also ad that the CDL pre trip inspection is not a real inspection! It is a test to see if you know how to conduct and inspection and to test your knowledge of locations and systems on the truck. You need to check your state's handbook to see what it suggests as for what the examiners may be looking for. If the state's book goes into detail on some systems, you may want to really hone that particular area more than others.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Rookie
Default Proper air brake check includes

When you do your air brake check and check to see that the low air pressure warning system is working, you fully apply your brakes and hold for a second or 2 with the brake pedal fully depressed and repeat. If your slack adjusters are functioning properly, which is a big if, they will adjust if necessary. Understand that if the slack adjusters are bad this will not happen. If you just fan or rapidly pump the brakes to drop air pressure, the slack adjustment will also not be made.
Unfortunately when you are away from school, you will see that way to many folks do not perform an air brake test at all. Let alone a proper air brake test. It is an amazement to me.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM

Steve & fozzy's post hit the nail right on the head. What I said for almost everything in a 108 point pre-trip inspection was as follows:

"Securely mounted, not cracked, broken or damaged."

I said this after I identified the part and pointed to it. After saying that I went into my 5 step explanation of things I would check with that part(like Steve said, not all parts have 5 steps to talk about though).

As far as brake light check, the inspector will let you know what to do. Very important, if he doesn't then ask him if he could help you with the light check. That is what I had to do. Either the examiner will say yes and go to the back or in my case he said yes but to just explain how I would do the light test.

Using this method, I got a perfect score of 108 out of 108 on my pre-trip.

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:57 AM
Rookie

[QUOTE = terrylamar; 210929] Soy nuevo en camiones, sin embargo, ¿no sería más fácil pedirle a alguien que mire y vea si sus frenos, luces direccionales y faros funcionan? [/ QUOTE]

I understand this user a lot many times we cannot alone and we have to find someone although here in the forum I have seen how they explain step by step very well but with the exhaust brake I have to pay someone