User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah man.... I'm SURE that cost me at least a dollar of my time to read it! :lol:

[just kidding!] and it was good advice.

BTW.... with a name like crystalship, I must wonder if this is a woman?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersod215
BoyNextDoor you wrote "I love to drive. driving a truck isn't that hard, you just need to get used to it..." Is it my understanding that you're not yet a solo driver with TMC? Or are you currently a solo driver and still truly have the mindframe that driving a truck is not a hard job? If you've yet to venture out on your first trip, especially pulling a flat, in the middle of winter, mind you all the while in a blowing snow storm, then i wonder how it is you can pass along the advice that driving a truck is not a hard job, that is "once you get used to it". I'm not at all trying to criticize you, but i've been doing it now for 4 years, both OTR and mostly local, and in my opinion if I ever wake up in the early hours of the morning and go to work thinking that my job is easy, that's a good situation to get myself in trouble. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but for new guys, and yeah i'm still relatively new, you gotta look at what you're responsible for. 80,000 pounds of very expensive, very heavy freight, all the while keeping everyone elses best interests in mind while you're on the road, not only are you in charge of your own safety, but everyone elses around you. To be honest, as I finish up this little note, and looking back at what i wrote it makes me realize that truckers like you and I actually have pretty tough jobs, don't sell yourself short.....
Just my 2 cents, although a little long winded.....
I'm new, and still in school (sort of), I have my CDL already, and i'm in Burlington, IA for a refresher course. All my driving was a friend of mine is an O/O and he let me drive for 700 miles on a run he had...

When I stated that it's easy, i ment the driving part. I also was thinking, (but should have mentioned) that it's easy, or at least easier if you get good training, and do everything as they tell you / are a responsible person all-in-all... I believe, that I'll be able to do Flatbed responsibly, safely and "easily" if I just follow rules, secure the load as they show me to, and do everything as colse to perfect as I possibly can. I'm never gonna be a perfect driver. There is no such thing as a perfect driver. BUT... I'm gonna strive to get as close as humanly possible to it. Now i believe that that does make a BIG difference...

In life if you follow the advice of succesfull people, you will be succesfull. If you follow the teachings of your Master (In my case the trainer @ TMC) you'll definetly succeed.

My $0.99 :lol:

Sorry for bad spelling, and long post ops:

Cheers

BND
Old 11-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Board Regular

Hey, BoyNextDoor I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything, I've been driving now for 4 years, Im not a veteran of the road by any stretch of the mind, all im trying to say, and i think you understood the point of my message is that you should take pride in driving a truck, and by no means sell yourself short, it's a tough job and we should be compensated well, and respected for the work we do. I also do believe that once you finish your training at TMC you will gain immediate respect from the other drivers on the road. I hear they have a class act training program, and their equipment has got to be some of the nicest owner operator spec'd company equipment on the road. Good luck out there and take pride in what you do.
Working at McDonalds is an "EASY" job..........
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersod215
Hey, BoyNextDoor I wasn't trying to give you a hard time or anything, I've been driving now for 4 years, Im not a veteran of the road by any stretch of the mind, all im trying to say, and i think you understood the point of my message is that you should take pride in driving a truck, and by no means sell yourself short, it's a tough job and we should be compensated well, and respected for the work we do. I also do believe that once you finish your training at TMC you will gain immediate respect from the other drivers on the road. I hear they have a class act training program, and their equipment has got to be some of the nicest owner operator spec'd company equipment on the road. Good luck out there and take pride in what you do.
Working at McDonalds is an "EASY" job..........
I in no way got offended by your post. I got your message...

I'm highly proud of me becoming a trucker, and started learning lines to get back at ppl who will eventually offend me b/c of my job... :lol:

I'm cool... I can't wait to get on my truck. I'll definetly be an asset to TMC...
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Board Icon

Millersod: Who do you drive for? OTR or local? New YORK?? My God, I hope you're OTR! Gotta get outa that town!

Boynextdoor: (gotta change that login!) You sound very level headed and mature. I'm sure YOU will do well! I'm much older than you, but our experiences are very similar. I love to drive, too! And I understand you when you say the "driving" part is not that hard!

Don't overdo the study of snappy comebacks. Some of us are just here to help! :lol:

Best of luck to both of you!

Hobo

Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Board Icon

Ooops! Sorry. Millersod is in Florida. BND is in New York! I get SOOO confused at times! :lol: