User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

South Bound wrote:

Quote:
I am sold, I talked about it allot with my wife and have done allot of research. I want to start trucking, flat bedding is the route I am gonna take. I have requested information with a couple of companies and schools to start my CDL training. I have driven allot of non-cdl straight trucks and pulled goose neck and regular trailers across several states. Most of my life I have done construction, drilling or pipeline work. One thing that interests me is the freedom that seems to come with trucking. I have no D.U.Is or felony convictions, don't use drugs and have no points on my MVR. My work history is stable and I got a D.O.T. card about 6 mos ago. Any more advice would be great, this message board has really been a great information source.
With a clean record like that any company would want to get a hold of you.

I did some good research in the resent past and strongly suggest you look into the following companies. They seem to be truly interested in proper training and retention of there drivers, not to mention great pay for rookies.

Flatbed if your into that kind of thing.
1. TMC-probably your best bet. You'll be at full scale shortly after training.
2. Roehl-pronounce "Rail"
3. Hunt- owned by Crete

Van:
1. Crete - my company, I have been very happy so far.
2. Mills Transfer - Very attractive training program.
3. Roehl - mostly NE lanes.

Of course there are others, but any of the above would be a damn good start.

Make sure the company you sign on with pays practical miles or hub miles(TMC pays % of the load if you choose and seems to work out). DO NOT run with anyone that doesn't. This job is difficult enough without doing 10-15% of it for free. FYI, Arrow pays short miles and last I heard, only around 37 cpm to start. WHY would anyone work for that when there are other company that will blow that pay out of the water?

One thing to remember, the first year is a kind of pay your dues kind of thing. At least for the 1st six months. Unless you choose TMC, which will have you making more money faster, from what I hear from their drivers that is. The only reason I went with Crete instead of TMC is that it is so much easier to sit in the sleeper while I get loaded and unload than it is to sling those damn tarps. Especially in bad weather conditions. It can be a real bitch. That and the fact that I didn't think much of the idea of spending 3 weeks with a trainer learning securment @ $500 week when I've been driving for 10 years. You will find it much easier to get home every weekend with the skateboard though. That's a choice you will have to make.

Best of luck.

[email protected]