User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T * Storm
I don't want to give you the wrong impression, but in orientation, the Swift safety manager told us implicitly that we need to do the pretrip every time we start in the morning. When I got on the truck with my mentor, my mentors attitude was "This is the real world now - an real truckers don't bother". Swift also provides you with a comprehensive checklist for the pre-trip. So, I guess I got the wrong impression from my mentor, because as I just stated, the safety manager was extremely emphatic about our doing a pretrip everyday. I appreciate your underscoring the importance of doing things RIGHT. What you say makes total sense and the reasons behind doing them. From here on out I am doing a pretrip regardless of what my mentor says.

BTW my new mentor has 23 yr of driving, 3 mil accident free miles and is an owner operator so I do believe he is a stickler for safety and will probably insist that I do everything pertaining to safety. Even if not, I will.
Again, thanks for the heads up and the instruction rev. - I just got word that my trainers ETA at the Lathrop terminal will be in 5 hours and I need to do laundry before my wife drives me over there.

Talk to you all around Christmas time. Saty safe out there.
Kudos to you, T*Storm - you have the right attitude (something that "mentor" is seriously lacking, and it will serve you well.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

This is the real world now - an real truckers don't bother".

Good grief

Good Luck to you T-Storm-you'll be all right-
Remember-When you're driving you're the Captain and that includes Pre-trips.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="T * Storm"]

When I got on the truck with my mentor, my mentors attitude was "This is the real world now - an real truckers don't bother".

Yeah, Right!!

In the real world a truck with the wheels properly turning is what enables a driver to feed, clothe, and sustain himself and his family!! (or, herself and her family !!) "Real Truckers" don't bother?? Oh,well!! I guess that I never was a "Real Trucker", then!!

BTW my new mentor has 23 yr of driving, 3 mil accident free miles and is an owner operator so I do believe he is a stickler for safety and will probably insist that I do everything pertaining to safety. Even if not, I will.

He didn't get there by being wrong too many times!! Now, aren't you gald that you decided to hang in there??

Talk to you all around Christmas time. Stay safe out there.

Back at'tcha, Bro!!

Have a Kool Yule!!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T * Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
i hope that fellow dont quit his swift job before he got a year in.if he managed to get another job swift would probably buy that company too.you have no power if you dont have a year and everybody wants to find out if you can handle the pressure. so can you? do you think they gonna give you a bunch of expensive equipment and you cant take the pressure for six weeks.when you was in boot camp they made sure you could take the stress or they send you home
Bootcamp Ft Leonardwood Mo, back in early 80s. You?
no im senile in 77 out 82 before panama no civil service preference! san diego peace time swabber
Old 12-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

8) did the swift trainee thing in 95. thats the program call hq,say i want out this *&% truck,they talk softly in your ear,stroke you,its almost over!then they run you coast to coast til *&%$ start freakin out gotta be home yesterday! then your qualified and you see *&%# on the road and you so happy. after a year go somewhere else and less than a year evry one you know is gone from there