User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is Flatbed Trucking the way to go?

Will they hire a guy right out of school to do flatbed trucking?
I like to work, and I have worked constuction, is this the route I should go. Pros and cons Please.

By the way, if these post rooms are any sign of what truckers are like, I have no doubt in my mind I want to be in this industry, you guys are some of the most helpfull, friendly guys out there. Thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 10:18 PM

TMC hired me after I completed Truck Driving School. Flatbedding is more difficult than dry vans and reefers, but the customer appreciation is what caught my attention.

On my first pickup during week #1 of training, the customer invited us into his office and shook our hands. He said if we needed any extra help with the fork lift operator, all we had to do was ask. There were two fork lift drivers who loaded our truck quickly - 13 feet high. After they placed the smoke tarp on top of the load, they rolled out a special ladder for us. We did not have to sit around and wait for anything.

And we had a similar experience when we dropped off the load. The fork lift operator was going on his lunch break, but he agreed to wait until he took our load off the truck. (96 bundles of anti-erosion netting).

You can see photos of this load and others at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7594390549938/

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 PM

When I was a reefer hauler I loved the comradery from the drivers that I ran into at the same places over and over again. I lost that when I pulled a dry van for 12 years. I found it again pulling a flatbed. It helps that I run within the same state all the time. But lifetime flatbed drivers are very different then van drivers. Flatbed drivers are physically fit (for the most part). We have to be since our jobs are very physical. It's hard to throw around a 150# tarp.
When I first starting pulling a flatbed 7 months ago I thought it was too hard and almost quit. Now I have friends. Real friends. We sit down for dinner together. Run together. We help each other out sometimes. It's not uncommon to see a driver from one company help another companies driver fold their tarps.

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsknight
When I was a reefer hauler I loved the comradery from the drivers that I ran into at the same places over and over again. I lost that when I pulled a dry van for 12 years. I found it again pulling a flatbed. It helps that I run within the same state all the time. But lifetime flatbed drivers are very different then van drivers. Flatbed drivers are physically fit (for the most part). We have to be since our jobs are very physical. It's hard to throw around a 150# tarp.
When I first starting pulling a flatbed 7 months ago I thought it was too hard and almost quit. Now I have friends. Real friends. We sit down for dinner together. Run together. We help each other out sometimes. It's not uncommon to see a driver from one company help another companies driver fold their tarps.
Some great stuff there, but more and more a thing of the past...Its rare for someone to come up and say: 'You look like you need some help'.
All in all flatbedders are a different breed, stringy as hell and never sweat!! It a bit more exciting to pull a flat, eventhough sometimes that excitement stems from extra work, scary loads and extra hemroids...
I liked pulling a flat, but I happy now...
Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

If I was a lot younger and was going to make a 20 + year career of driving, I'd go flatbedding - maybe even heavy hauling. But I'm an older guy and will hang up the jockstrap at the end of 2010. :lol:
Old 11-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Rookie

i got on with a company right out of school. flatbedding is diffent the straps is all that holds the load on and it's pretty nerve racking knowing the impact of not doing it right. I have only been out on my own for a week or two and the tarps are a major pain in the rump, but I think in time I will begin to like it. I like the life style and the people I've met so far. I run pretty much florida and south georga so I'm sure I'll meet others and get a repore like others who have responded. we haul alot of building materials and so far bagged sand is the worst cause it settles and you have to pull over alot and tighten the straps, but other than that it's ok.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually recommend that anyone wanting to get into pulling a flat bed start out pulling a van unless they have been driving for a while. There are some on this board who have apparently started out pulling a flat bed rather than a van. I believe that both TMC and Maverick have training programs for inexperienced drivers. My thinking is that it is easier to concentrate on learning one thing at a time. Once you get used to driving and hone your skills, you can start learning how to pull a flat bed. I still think that would be the best way to start, but some who have done it are more able to tell you about how well it worked for them. My primary concern is learning proper securement.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree somewhat with GMAN. For some guys it's better to concentrate on just the driving first (that includes driving, shifting, maintenance, air brakes, hazmat, time managment, customer frustrations, DOT regs, etc.). Some others, though, appreciate starting out with a bit more responsibility. If you're a big boy, you can do it. Just don't get complacent or try to take on crazy loads that you're not confident about. If you're not sure about something, don't hesitate to ask a fellow driver or even call your safety guy for advice. There's no doubt in my mind that a responsible noob can do it and do it well. 8)
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

I am one of those noobs they are talking about. I am training right now with Maverick. I am still riding with a trainer. And, Gman has a valid point about learning one thing at a time. I like multitasking as my last job was as a teller supervisor at a bank before I took on the flatbed challenge. From what Ive seen so far is anyone can learn both at the same time, but you have to take your time and think things through. And Maverick doesnt scimp on their training (nor does TMC from what I've heard). But I have heard of other flatbed companies not offering any securement training and telling their drivers just to watch or ask a Maverick or TMC driver. And even if you have driven for years, thats a bad company policy (if you ask me). Dont let the fact that you have to learn more at once be your deciding factor. You have 6 weeks with a driver trainer before you go out on your own. And if you have questions, I know Mavericks safety man says to call him any time 24/7.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I haul Icebox...but I've pulled some Flatty loads. I just didn't fit in too well. I didn't have mirror sunglasses, a sheepskin vest, a cinnimon toothpick, and my Tractor didn't have dual CB antennas angled forward, with the Taz grill cover.....oh....and I didn't have the ballz to wanna drive 85.