User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ditto on the sentiments about TMC Terry. Had narrowed it down to CFI and TMC. CFI has nothing but vans, and at 47 myself I still feel fit enough to handle the flat bedding part of it. Also TMC has a 5yr old rider program, so I can take my 6yr old grandson with me once I get the experience down. I'm in cdl school starting Dec. 4, for 4 weeks and if all goes well with TMC's application (they said they start every Monday), I hope to be going in the first of the year also. Think they would send me to South Carolina for orientation and training.
Hope all goes well for your surgury Terry, I'm not a marine but HOOAH! any way
Old 11-22-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltBound
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker
Quote:
Sorry, that job has already been taken! There is no shame in being number two, though.
I'm guessing that's you? LOL.

How do you like TMC???
No, that would be me once I make my decision to join TMC. :wink:
By the way Terry what finally persuaded you to join TMC? I'm sure you did an extensive research on other companies.
Why I picked TMC? A lot of it was Fred's post. Then I read anything and everything I could find on TMC, I talked to many drivers. TMC is not perfect, though they are close speaking as someone who hasn't driven for anyone yet. The pay is excellent, novice drivers can make as much as experienced drivers. As a novice that is important because I will give them everything I've got. Now ,that might change once I become an experienced driver. I might wonder why all these wet-behind the ears drivers are getting as much as me.

I wanted to be a flatbedder. You get some exercise, it will break up your day so you don't have the same routine of drop and hook or bumping a dock. I like the idea of securing a load myself, I know what I am capable of and the care I take in doing a job correctly. The liability does not bother me. Most loads on a flatbed have less wind resistance than a big box, making it safer to drive down the highway.

1) What exactly is a "TMC physical?" Do you need to bring medical records, your prescription drugs, dates of past illnesses? I didn't even know they did a physical . . . thought that was done at CDL School.

2) Can you talk about the "liability?" What does that mean?

WHY CHOOSE TMC?

# 1 I think "corporate culture" means a lot and I think TMC has the best of all the companies I checked. As I posted in another thread, I think Maverick is also a good company . . . but the "free" school and short (6 month) commitment make it very desirable to new drivers. I think that competition has created a certain elitist attitude among Maverick recruiters. My big fear is that the same elitism has spread to other parts of the company.

# 2 I have no evidence that it has . . . but I don't want to get into a six-month commitment and find out I've joined an outfit I don't feel comfortable with. With TMC, I have no issues like that. Paying for my CDL was actually the biggest factor AGAINST choosing TMC but in the end other factors outweighed it.

# 3 I've had personal experiences now with three TMC people (not recruiters) and every one has been extremely positive . . . and positive in a warm person-to-person way. That impressed me because I haven't even stepped on their campus yet. They could have blown me off.

# 4 Finally, the sharp truck appearance, luxurious interiors and the weekly wash policy is a BIG deal to me. That generates not only pride in company but pride in self. It also means that attention to detail is important to management.

For you history buffs, don't forget that George Patton was big on "appearance" . . . even to the point of demanding that soldiers wear neckties in combat!! That wasn't some anal retentive quirk . . . that was an understanding of how to get the best from people. I get the sense that TMC management is pretty sharp.

Those were my reasons for choosing TMC.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

1) What exactly is a "TMC physical?" Do you need to bring medical records, your prescription drugs, dates of past illnesses? I didn't even know they did a physical . . . thought that was done at CDL School.

You will have to take a DOT physical at every company you drive for. Additionally, a company may have more stringent physical requirements than are required for by law. Remember, they are paying a substantial amount of your benefit package. They want to protect themselves against foreseeable health risk. Yes, you need to bring prescription for all medications you are currently taking. You will need to know your own medical history. For example any surgeries you have had. It is the same DOT Physical you had or will have for CDL School.

2) Can you talk about the "liability?" What does that mean?

As a flatbedder, you are required to secure your load. If you have an accident attributable to your negligence in load securement, you will be held responsible for loss of property or life. Also, if you are required to tarp a load, and you do a poor job and your shipment is ruined you will pay $300.00 or the cost of the load, which ever is cheaper. TMC drivers help if I got that one wrong.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

# 2 I have no evidence that it has . . . but I don't want to get into a six-month commitment and find out I've joined an outfit I don't feel comfortable with. With TMC, I have no issues like that. Paying for my CDL was actually the biggest factor AGAINST choosing TMC but in the end other factors outweighed it.

TMC offered me the option of a sponsored school. I could have attended several, one being located in Weatherford, TX. I had the money to pay for my own schooling, so I did so. I attended a school about 5 miles away. It was one week longer, but I got to sleep in my own bed each night. I was also closing down a business and it gave me the extra time to accomplish that. TMC will reimburse me for this schooling at the rate of $100.00 per month. That is not much, I admit. It will be incentive for staying with TMC for at least 36 months. :lol:
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 AM

Terry.........I'm sure the surgery will be a BREEZE..........good luck!!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltBound
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolMaker
Quote:
Sorry, that job has already been taken! There is no shame in being number two, though.
I'm guessing that's you? LOL.

How do you like TMC???
No, that would be me once I make my decision to join TMC. :wink:
By the way Terry what finally persuaded you to join TMC? I'm sure you did an extensive research on other companies.
I've posted in the other topics on TMC. I'm the one that went to orientation, during my physical they found an Umbilical Hernia and sent me home to take care of it. I'm scheduled for surgery this coming Monday. If there are no complications my Surgeon will release me in ten days. I think TMC's doctor will require 30 days. That will put me back in orientation the first class of the New Year. I don't mind sharing the number one position, I think there is more than enough room at the top for any and everyone who want to excel.

Why I picked TMC? A lot of it was Fred's post. Then I read anything and everything I could find on TMC, I talked to many drivers. TMC is not perfect, though they are close speaking as someone who hasn't driven for anyone yet. The pay is excellent, novice drivers can make as much as experienced drivers. As a novice that is important because I will give them everything I've got. Now ,that might change once I become an experienced driver. I might wonder why all these wet-behind the ears drivers are getting as much as me.

I wanted to be a flatbedder. You get some exercise, it will break up your day so you don't have the same routine of drop and hook or bumping a dock. I like the idea of securing a load myself, I know what I am capable of and the care I take in doing a job correctly. The liability does not bother me. Most loads on a flatbed have less wind resistance than a big box, making it safer to drive down the highway.

TMC is opening a terminal in Dallas in 18 months or so. I'm 50 years old right now. I may want a job at a terminal later and I can stay here in Texas.

Lastly, TMC has great equipment and they take care of it.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Another ex-Army member here! Although, I didn't have the patience to stay in until retirement. I wanted to get out while I was still young and save the best years for myself and my kids instead of giving them to Uncle Sam. I got out while stationed at Ft. Hood and would've stayed in the area, but my kids were in IL. Harker Heights is a very nice area and I'm pretty sure that it's gotten better since I left back in 97'. I'll be in Des Moines next Monday!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I was active in the Marine Corps for eight years then went into the Texas Army National Guard. There I spent a lot of time on active duty with the Army. I went to OCS and eventually resigned my commission at about the 18 year mark. I spent a lot of time at Ft. Hood. North Ft. Hood on tanks and at III Corps and 4 AD. I attended Air Assault on Ft. Hood. I don't think the school is there anymore. Try going through school as a Captain and as a Reservist. I caught hell. I was an Intelligence Officer, but an active one. I have even been through Tank Gunnery. My last unit was with a Special Forces Unit in Golden Colorado. Why is a Marine, a former Marine and Ex-Army, Ex-Army?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Try going through school as a Captain and as a Reservist. I caught hell.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Were you in need of attention when you did this?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRolln
Quote:
Try going through school as a Captain and as a Reservist. I caught hell.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Were you in need of attention when you did this?
They certainly thought I need extra attention! The first day was really bad, that's when they weed out all the wannabes. They they made me a road guard. As you know in AA School you run everywhere with your ruck, road guards run twice as much as everyone else. I could run though, I've done several marathons in my younger years and I was a 300 PFTer in the Marine Corps and Army. Once they saw that I wasn't going to crack so easy they left me alone. I want to go so badly, I took leave to attend.