User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any suggestions?

I posted this here because in May, next year, thats exactly what I will be;A new driver.
Here,s my problem: Whilst I,m looking for work to fill in the gap between now and then; Most potential employers won,t entertain me as they know I,ll go back to driving in May, so I,m probably facing 6 months of unemployment. Because I ,ve never been unemployed before, I get "Jobseekers allowance" which is an unemployment benefit paid only if you are actively seeking work. Thats not a problem now, as I am "actively seeking".
However, as the time draws close to getting my licence back, the employment office will expect me to seek work in transport(understandably) but, I don,t want to let any potential employer know that I was disqualified for 6 months, as I,ll get a clean licence back.
The way that transport interviews go in the U.K is something like this...
How long have you been driving? answer more than 2 years and you,re looking good.
Any accidents? answer no and you,re three quarters there
Any points on your licence? answer clean and you,re in...
I have never been asked if I was previously disqualified at an interview.
So I,m hardly going to divulge information needlessly.
I know that as soon as I get my licence back, I,ll get a good paying job with just about any company I choose.
But... but here is the big problem; If I delay looking for a driving job until I actually get my licence back, the employment office would stop my benefits as I would not be "actively seeking work".
Any ideas on how to get around this?
Other than applying to shite haulage companies which would be over the moon to have someone who actually knows the job enquiring to them, I,m at a loss.
Catch 22 here. :?

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I assume that you don't want any potential employer to know your license was suspended? If that is the case, you are in a difficult situation. If you don't mind them knowing the license was suspended then you could be up front with them and let them know you were unable to work because of the suspension. Have you considered going back with your previous employer? You can always tell any potential employer that you will not be ready to move until after you have your license back. If you want to keep that information to yourself, then you may just tell them that you cannot make a move until a certain date. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I assume that you don't want any potential employer to know your license was suspended? If that is the case, you are in a difficult situation. If you don't mind them knowing the license was suspended then you could be up front with them and let them know you were unable to work because of the suspension. Have you considered going back with your previous employer? You can always tell any potential employer that you will not be ready to move until after you have your license back. If you want to keep that information to yourself, then you may just tell them that you cannot make a move until a certain date. Good luck.
I,ve already been offered my previous job back for May, but I was only doing a "numpty" job because I knew that the court case was looming. Thanks for input Gman. :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit