User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Got my Card Fast-as soon as the Terminal Mgr. saw that I knew what I was supposed to Know.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They always seemed to be working normal business hours! LOL I was always out in the middle of the night. I got one right off the bat, the other two racks just seemed like forever, it was probably three-four weeks before we all got sync'd up. It probably had more to do with paperwork between my company and them.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Board Regular

I haul tankers on average a couple of times a week.

The one thing I will add is that in general, companies that load or unload tankers seem to have put no thought into the fact that a tractor-trailer would be the vehicle loaded or unloaded.

You will find yourself in some very tight spots with a gazillion dollars' worth of expensive piping and other fun. And hitting the wrong pipe can add a lot of excitement to your day.

-p.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
It depends on the product and this is just generally but most tankers you place the truck in the proper place (fun in itself) take the hoses out of their storage buckets, hook up to the bulkhead, recheck all your connections. open the internal valves and if you are using a pump recheck all your connections again (strapping all the connections on the delivery side) and open the valves. Turn on the PTO and release the clutch and get out there and look for leaks or other problems! You will either need to have a vapor return line or you will need to open the top of the tanker itself (depending on the product of course). If you do not have a way to vent the tank and you start unloading or pumping off, you will end up with a catastophic "implosion" of the tank.. really cool to see if it's not your tanker BTW~ :wink:
Pretty much the way a "pump off" goes...... And while its cool to see a tank implode....its still kinda painful thinking about it....

Quote:
Theres a lot of things that the guy or gal who takes you out for the first few times can explain to you. Its kind of hard to describe. Watch out for the loaded hoses and NEVER crack loose a connection unless you are 100% sure that the line has no pressure in it!!!!!
Make sure you pay close attention to your trainer when you ride with him, and don't get away from him until you have it all down pat and are comfortable with what you are doing.

The other way to unload a tank...actually there are two ways... first is a simple "gravity drop", usually done with gas and diesel. And thats where you need a vapor return, and make sure there's no-one around with a lit cigarette or anything nearby. The second way is to "air-off" the load. Simply put.... its hooking up either your truck air or an auxiliary compressor to the chicago fitting on the air inlet on the tank and building up some pressure in the tank to push the product out.

Remember: Pump off flammables, air off corrosives.... Never do the reverse.

Also, before you ever unload a tanker by any method, get the receivers signature on your paperwork that your hoses are right, hooked up right, that their valves are open and they can take all of the product....that way if something goes wrong.... its gonna probably fall on them not you.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.