User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If this guy was running palletized stone, he probably had a flatbed on a fixed spread, so all he had was the fifth wheel to slide. No slide on a fixed spread. He said it was a 53' trailer so it probably wasnt a fixed spread and he should have brought the tandems under the trailer. It costs $8.50 to scale at a truck stop, It costs $???.?? for DOT to scale it for you. This guy was asking for a ticket and got lucky.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I really wasn't " asking " for a ticket but I did get lucky. Our trailers are not in the best shape and being an old wore out dude I could not for the life of me get the trailer tandem pin loose. It was a van not a FB. As I said I am new and trying to learn and this board is helping me to not do it the hard way. I go back and forth between the 53' van and a 48 FB, normally hauling recycleables ( scrap vinal, pvc and so forth ) but we also do general freight on the front of the run when going to pick up our loads. My boss knows absoutly nothing about trucks, one other truck and driver that is based about 150 miles from where I am; so not a lot of in house help. That is just to show how much needed you guys are to me and a lot of other newbes out here. And as far as someone saying I was "asking " for a ticket....well thats OK, I really belive that if ya gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough...and boy am I tough :-) but I try to learn when I can and not cost my boss too much $ in the process.
David
Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM

I know that in knoxville,TN scales (or for that matter the entire state) if you are caught over axle they will not only fine you for the truck being OOS condition, they also assest a fee for each pound your over. This fine goes to the company not the driver, however if your an o/o with your own authority you are the company. They will let you go if you go after they fine you, however you better fix the weight before you get to the next scale house or they will fine you again.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I haven't use this but it does appear promising.
http://www.pinpuller.com/

This is what I had. Not cheap but it does work.
http://www.sta-rat.com/product.htm

I also had a set of pins I made to set the location for the new pins. No more getting out to see if the pin was in the right location. All you had to do is determine where you wanted the pins.

kc0iv
Old 11-11-2006, 08:08 PM

kc0iv

Thanks for the links...THAT is exactly what this wore out guy needs !!!! I so like working smarter rather than harder !!!
David
Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
I haven't use this but it does appear promising.
http://www.pinpuller.com/

This is what I had. Not cheap but it does work.
http://www.sta-rat.com/product.htm

I also had a set of pins I made to set the location for the new pins. No more getting out to see if the pin was in the right location. All you had to do is determine where you wanted the pins.

kc0iv
Thank you for the link also the sta-rat thing is what another driver used to help me out one day and it worked real good. I have been trying to figure out what it was called ever since that day. It definitly would save time that is for sure. I use bungees sometimes but alot of the times they snap. Going to order one for the next time i get home it will be there
Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileydale

Our trailers are not in the best shape and being an old wore out dude I could not for the life of me get the trailer tandem pin loose.
My handiest tool for getting stuck pins loose is a good pair of vice grips. Pull the handle out as for as you can get it, then bite it with the vice grips. Then go rock the trailer. You might have to repeat the process a few times until you get the pin all the way out, but I have not failed yet in eventually getting the pin out. I use the vice grips far more than I use a hammer.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpick
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileydale

Our trailers are not in the best shape and being an old wore out dude I could not for the life of me get the trailer tandem pin loose.
My handiest tool for getting stuck pins loose is a good pair of vice grips. Pull the handle out as for as you can get it, then bite it with the vice grips. Then go rock the trailer. You might have to repeat the process a few times until you get the pin all the way out, but I have not failed yet in eventually getting the pin out. I use the vice grips far more than I use a hammer.
It is also never a bad idea to spray some monkey piss around liberally as well (monkey piss is any kind of wonder spray i.e. wd40, ZEP, any penetrating lubricant you prefer)

Wonder spray, vise grips, and a good ole BFH (Big....Hammer) are just a few required items for any discerning driver!!!