User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default stretching your 14hrs w/off duty time?

Feel kinda stupid asking this but.... One of the guys at work (local/LTL) told me he avoids illegally going over his hours by logging detention time, whether it's getting repairs, waiting for an outbound load, etc, as off duty instead of on duty not driving. So by his reasoning if he starts at 01:00, and is held up at some point in the day for an hour and a half he can legally be on the clock until 16:30 as long as he logged that 1.5 off duty??!! The way I understood, and have always done, is that you have 14 hours, period. I start at 01:00, I'm all done at 15:00 and have to take my 10 hours off at that point. Just talking about workday length here, not bringing driving hours, 16 hour exception, 34 hour reset, etc into it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

You are correct. Once you start your day the only way to stop the 14 hour clock is to go into the sleeper for 8 hours. The only way to reset it is to take a 10 hour break.

Going off duty for a few hours does not stop the 14 hour clock. The only thing going off duty will do is stop the 60/70 hour clock.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Board Icon

That driver must think it is still 2001. :lol:
Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Board Icon

Not bringing "driving hours?" On the clock? You are not being specific enough. Local driver? Is he under the 150 mile rule (or is it 100 miles?) I don't really study THOSE, because I drive OTR, but I THINK they DO let you take all breaks (or maybe just 2 hours or more) OFF the clock. I'd have to check. You can find MORE info on this on the subforum that relates to DAC "oh my."

But, I just want you to understand that the 14 hours is a "window" after which you cannot be DRIVING. You can be "on the clock" as it pertains to loading, etc. past that point regardless of your break times.

However, if your "friend" is under the OTR rules, he is wrong. (In fact, he was right under the OLD rules that no longer apply.) Under the new rules, as UTURN said, the ONLY thing that stops the 14 hour clock is an 8 hour SLEEPER BERTH break. Other than that, you can WORK past the 14 hours.... you just can't DRIVE past that point.

Check out some of the discussions on the Rules, Regs, DAC subforum. I think you'll find your answers there, as long as you don't believe the posts that were wrong! Good luck.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Board Icon

Maybe Dawn can shed some light on this. Perhaps it is legal to stretch your hours, if you are backing on private property. :lol:
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure he was wrong, but he's one of the old hats where I work and was OTR for years before that so I didn't directly call him out on it. Yes golfhobo we're under the same logging guidelines, 8 day/70 hour rule as OTR. What I meant by not bringing driving hours, etc into it was that I was only asking about the 14 hour window, not driving time issues or anything else. My "friend" (Are you suggesting I'm pulling the old "My 'friend' had some questions about erectile dysfunction....." trick?:lol: ) seems to think he can stretch that window to whatever he wants as long as he has some off duty time in there.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_knee
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure he was wrong, but he's one of the old hats where I work and was OTR for years before that so I didn't directly call him out on it. Yes golfhobo we're under the same logging guidelines, 8 day/70 hour rule as OTR. What I meant by not bringing driving hours, etc into it was that I was only asking about the 14 hour window, not driving time issues or anything else. My "friend" (Are you suggesting I'm pulling the old "My 'friend' had some questions about erectile dysfunction....." trick?:lol: ) seems to think he can stretch that window to whatever he wants as long as he has some off duty time in there.
One good roadside inspection or DOT audit will get him up to speed on the correct way to log. Trick-knee you have been logging correctly and do not follow this drivers lead.