User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default map programs

I just finished my OTR training was pretty good except the guy smoked all the time, but atleast he was kind enough to crack a window. Anyway he had a lap top set up with a GPS tracking mapping system, it worked very well and got us around just fine, but he said to stay away from the CMV versions because they where to confusing with all the hazmat and over sized load info. he said the regular version worked all the time. I am thinking of setting one up when I get my truck and was interested in the pro's con's either way from the pro's who have tested the test of time. My big concern being sent down a road where trucks wont fit or are not allowed, he said just to tell the police you have a delivery in that area and they will let you pass through. Any advise for a rookie.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

search for gps,you will get plenty of responses been discussed numerous times
Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: map programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper
I just finished my OTR training was pretty good except the guy smoked all the time, but atleast he was kind enough to crack a window. Anyway he had a lap top set up with a GPS tracking mapping system, it worked very well and got us around just fine, but he said to stay away from the CMV versions because they where to confusing with all the hazmat and over sized load info. he said the regular version worked all the time. I am thinking of setting one up when I get my truck and was interested in the pro's con's either way from the pro's who have tested the test of time. My big concern being sent down a road where trucks wont fit or are not allowed, he said just to tell the police you have a delivery in that area and they will let you pass through. Any advise for a rookie.
Learn to read the Truckers Atlas. Don't depend just on GPS software that ws made with four wheelers in mind, NOT BIG TRUCKS!!

Quote:
My big concern being sent down a road where trucks wont fit or are not allowed, he said just to tell the police you have a delivery in that area and they will let you pass through.
BULL!!! Not knowing the law or failing to read a sign is no excuse. Unless the shipper or receiver is on that road, then you probably get cited.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 PM

I use Microshaft's Streets and trips '06 and I bought a bootleg copy :evil: of PC Miler if I need hazmat routing or street-level truck routes in whatever city I'm headed to (if they're not in the qualcomm).

I hardly ever use PC Miler though. Just remember that MS S&T is for 4-wheelers! You can manipulate the route it gives you to match the directions in the qualcomm. It works very well.

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell