User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Yet another nubie question...

1) If I am from Connecticut and go to school in Pennylvania for example, when it becomes time for the CDL test, do they send me back to CT to take it?

2) Once I have my CDL in CT and I want to move to another state, do I just transfer it like a regular drivers license?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You will probably take the test where you go to school. Otherwise you will need to arrange for a truck and trailer for the road test. Renting a truck without a CDL is next to impossible. In talking to others who have gone to school in other states, they seem to get their CDL in the state where they attend school, then get one in their home state at a later date. It has been a while since I have switched states, but I believe I had to take the written test when I changed states. I know that I had to take the hazmat portion. You will have to take the hazmat test each time you renew your license regardless of the state, as far as I know. Why don't you just find a school in your home state?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Yet another nubie question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
1) If I am from Connecticut and go to school in Pennylvania for example, when it becomes time for the CDL test, do they send me back to CT to take it?
Unless someone from CT has done what you are asking about and can fill you in on it...that will be a question for you to ask the CT DMV or whoever handles Drivers licenses in CT.

Quote:
2) Once I have my CDL in CT and I want to move to another state, do I just transfer it like a regular drivers license?
It should be "transferrable". I once moved to TX and they swapped my license without any problems, and when I moved back to FL, they swapped it back... I even got my original license number back.

The only problem that I can think of will be if you have a hazmat endorsement....you may have to go through the "fire drill" to get it put back on your license... fingerprints & background check. I have heard that it is not transferrable.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Board Regular

I was told after CDL school I would be sent home to my home state to get it transfered.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply GMAN. I am planning on going with one of the training companies like Schneider, Swift etc... to get my license.

The only thing I'm waiting for is to sell my house and settle a few things before I can leave here..(divorce stuff).

There are a couple of schools here that I have seen but I have not heard anything good about them...so...

I have always wanted to drive OTR and in a few weeks I'll have nothing stopping me from following my dream. I have already arranged for a permanent legal address here so I'll be good to go...now I just have to get accepted to one of those companies.