User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Northerly Neighbors.

Living, and working in the Puget Sound area has given me the opportunity to see, and experience a large number of Canadian truckers.
I have found that the driver's who haul shipping containers seem to think that traffic laws don't apply to them. I can deal with the 70 mph they seem to operate at. But I have to draw the line at tailgating, non signal usage, and driving in the left lane when It's clearly posted that NO vehicles over 10,000 gvw are permitted in the left lane. on a freeway with three, or more lanes. I'm not saying that all Canadian driver's are like this. But, this is what I have experienced In the Puget Sound area (Seattle).
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Try driving around Toronto and You'll think they're Courteous :P
Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Rookie

I'm a newbie and a Canadian, but I often seem to find myself in the Puget Sound area. I can't say I've seen Canucks in the left lane, or tailgating anymore than anyone else. If you've ever driven in Canada you may find that your road rules are a bit confusing for the innocent canuck..lol One min you have two lanes then three then two again and then maybe one lane (or maybe it just seems like one lane). It could be that they have just found themselves stuck in the left lane without the time or opportunity to move over.

I try to stay in the center lane unless I'm impeding traffic..but you know and I know how hard it is if you are in the right lane to maintain speed with people who don't know how to merge often putting you into dangerous situations. But no I am never in the left lane, I do know better than that.

I don't find that area all that difficult to drive in..but you do have to be on your toes as such. Other Canucks and Americans alike that I've talked to about Seattle and area say it's such a horrible place to drive in. I don't find it too bad myself..but they say ignorance is bliss..I just drive and try not to hurt anyone in the process..lol I'll have to watch more carefully and see if it's just the canucks that don't obey your road rules there or if it's just confused truckers period.

I do have to say..that getting back on the 1-90 from the 1-5 is a bit tricky I followed all the signs trying to get back to Spokane, and ended up in Kent taking the 18 back..lol. Could it be they are just trying to not miss that exit?..lol.

All that said..I don't do containers...maybe that's why I haven't found the need to annoy the locals..lol Oh and I have to say..that I met a man who drives for Puget Sound Trucking or something to that effect, was a recent resident there from Brooklyn NY. He didn't really know the area all that well but helped me get to a location I had no bearing on. That was really nice of him, never got to thank him as my location came up quicker than either of us expected and he didn't have a CB for me to say thanks on.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Try driving around Toronto and You'll think they're Courteous :P
Montreal can be quite interesting at times...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Very insightful post Jungle Jane. I know I get fed up with drivers who dont seem to do things "my way" but we have no idea what they are going thru either. Then there are the times when I am the one who may seem lost or confused or in the wrong lane (because I am) and I'm annoying the crap out of everyone else. I guess we've all been on both sides and we could all show more tolerance and cooperation for each other. It seems like many times a day we have to decide whether to help the other guy out or look out for ourself, then try and predict if I help the other guy out will I get screwed and hung out in the wrong lane? LOL. Is he being aggressive and a dumba** or is he just in an unfamiliar area? We never know. We dont know how much weight he has, where his truck is governed, how his load is secured, etc etc. There are many reasons people drive the way they do. We just have to keep a smile on our face and keep the best attitude we can and realize that "we'll get there when we get there", and most importantly, safely.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

This brings the old George Carlin line to mind...."anybody going faster than you is a crazed fool; anybody going slower than you is a blithering idiot"...and it holds true at any speed... :P