User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbies, how become an "Old Timer" truck driver.

After many, many miles and white lines behind me, about all I can say is:

Keep driving a truck...............and most of all.............DON'T DIE.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, In my opinion, Professional Truck Driving is one of the most essential and honorable, yet under-appreciated by the "General Public" career's there is.......... if your thinking about getting into trucking as a career, ...and you really want to see what an "Old Timer" looks like.........do yourself a favor, just go to your nearest "truck stop" in the evening.......watch the older drivers at the fuel desk...........pay special attention to their "eyes", I swear, you WILL be able to see the miles behind them in their eyes, the eyes don't lie...........I equate it to Vietnam" and "Iraq-Afghanistan"conflicts combat veterans........many who were in extensive combat, , still have what is commonly known as "The 1000-yard stare." (Click here)..........sometimes, one could tell a combat from a non-combat (support) Vet with just that observation alone.

I see way to many people get into this profession with the wrong expectations or reality of the industry........after honestly evaluating your observations, ask yourself this question, "Is this what I really want to look like this 25-years from now?"
..........."Is this what I really want to do?"

Personally myself, I LOVE driving a truck, but unlike many who enter this industry, where their expectations far exceeded reality.........because of my years of driving prior to re-entering the industry, I knew what I was getting into and what to expect............

like I said, I personally LOVE driving a truck OTR and/or local, so will you....if and ONLY if........you know what to expect within reason..........Good luck to any Newbie or Wanabe, everyday is an adventure, never the same, you could do a lot worse in career choices.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Board Regular

AFF, I will be retireing from one career...building cars for GM for 30 years...and becoming an OTR driver, only because it is something that I WANT to do, instead of something that I HAVE to do. I will be in the dubious position of collecting a pension, and at the same time, hopefully becoming a truck driver. So you see, I will not be in it for the money...or the fame and glory :lol: ...and if I don't like it, I can just walk away and try something else. My wife and I have no kids, and I have her full support to do it.

I will be leaving GM next July and plan on taking some time off...like a year or so, plus my wife and I will be making a move from DE to upstate PA...so trucking is still a couple of years away for me. The plan is to do it for atleast 10 to 15 years...i'll be 50 next year...use my pension money to pay the mortgage and other bills, and bank as much as I can from trucking into a 401k, and retire for good no later than 65 years old...if I live that long

So that is the plan. I am really optomistic that it will work. I am doing my research now so as not to go in "blind" and get a better "feel" for the industry, and thanks to web sitse like this one and people like you, I am able to do that. Although places like this are a great place to start, I do know that experiance is the best teacher. I will be going in with a positive attitude, and fully understand to expect the unexpected :wink:
Old 10-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Newbies, how become an "Old Timer" truck drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardmore Farms Forever
just go to your nearest "truck stop" in the evening.......watch the older drivers at the fuel desk
I'd respectfully disagree, with that method!

As you can see, from the hitman, post, age has nothing to do with it!
It's not uncommon, this days, to see an older(50+) drivers, who is just at the very beginning, of a new career!

I could tell a lot, by watching person actions on the road, sometimes even a gender , but not much, from the observation, at the "fuel desk"! :wink: :P
Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When I first got into this business it seems that most started driving and stayed with it their entire careers. I don't recall there being so much movement between jobs or carrier's either. Today, you can find those with second and even third careers who have decided to drive a truck. You can meet high school graduates and those who have completed their Doctorates. Office workers and warehouse people, fast food workers, college professors, lawyers and doctors. As you will see on this forum, there are quite a few who have come from the IT field. It is a very diverse group. You can no longer rely on appearances to tell if someone is a seasoned veteran or a newbie. Solo is correct, you can tell more about someones actions and how they handle themselves than strictly looking at their age.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I thought "THAT" look was from the old guy realizing he should have gone to the bathroom BEFORE getting in line at the fuel desk... :P

Re: the thousand yard stare...
I always remember the movie Platoon and "the look" the vet gave Charlie Sheen...as the vet was getting on the plane to leave and Charlie was just getting off in Vietnam.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
It's not uncommon, this days, to see an older(50+) drivers, who is just at the very beginning, of a new career!
I agree 100%, ........I know the demographic trends of the industry pretty well........I have an ability to tell an "old Timer" from a fairly new driver in a heartbeat, no matter what the age group is.......at least I think I do :lol:...........being a people person, I have no problem going up with anyone and starting up a conversation, and I have found that maybe, 9 out of 10 times, I am correct with my assumptions and observations........:lol: :lol: MAYBE I'm just SPECIAL. :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Solo is correct,
Michael, not quite so fast there in your agreement with Solo379, "Red Headed Stranger" breath. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about the night we sat there talking to "Willie Nelson", you could see the miles in his eyes......that guy had seen more "White Lines" backing up, than most people see in their entire careers ..........actually, and I think you'll agree...........he had more like the 1,000,000-yard stare......I can still see the redness and bags under the eyes from continuous lack of proper sleep......oh yea, how did you like my takeoff of "Johnny Carson"........."Red Headed Stranger Breath". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Ardmore Farms Forever
Michael, not quite so fast there in your agreement with Solo379, "Red Headed Stranger" breath. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about the night we sat there talking to "Willie Nelson", you could see the miles in his eyes......that guy had seen more "White Lines" backing up, than most people see in their entire careers ..........actually, and I think you'll agree...........he had more like the 1,000,000-yard stare......I can still see the redness and bags under the eyes from continuous lack of proper sleep......oh yea, how did you like my takeoff of "Johnny Carson"........."Red Headed Stranger Breath". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I noticed that, Josh. You can usually tell if a driver has been out here for a number of years. They say "the eyes are the windows to the soul." You can also tell by their attitude. After a number of year the starry eyed look is gone. The thrill can still be present, but those eyes tell all. I recall talking to an older driver a few months ago. He still had that starry eyed look. He had only been driving a short time. I wonder what happened to Willie? Have you been back to the truck stop since we talked?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I wonder what happened to Willie? Have you been back to the truck stop since we talked?
Don't know about Willie, haven't seen him around lately.......as far as going there, I stop by each time I need to fuel my truck...........our company headquarter is about 5-miles from there and my home is about 12-miles due West.............

plus, I make a point to talk to all the "Lot Lizards", they all remember "Yoopr", except they knew him as "Mr. Yoopr, the 60-Minute Man, the tower of power, the man of the hour, too SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET to be sour." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm LYING on the "Lot Lizards" and "Yoopr" part people........I just make this crap up as I go.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Whatever Crackerhead :P
You keep driving and in another 10 yrs. or so you'll have as many miles going forward that I have backing into Docks :P :P
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Whatever Crackerhead :P
You keep driving and in another 10 yrs. or so you'll have as many miles going forward that I have backing into Docks :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: