User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Random newbie questions

Instead of starting up multiple post for every question I have I figured I would start one and come back to it as questions come to me. Also this will be secondary to the search option, which has answered many of my questions already.

As I have stated before it is still some time (5.5 months) before I'll be out on the road (2.5 months until school and then 3 months of school).

My big question now concerns the DOT physical. For the past 15 years I have had a problem with my sacroiliac joint. I didn't know what the problem was until this year when it got pretty bad and put me on light duty for about 2 weeks. Up until this point when it hit (about once every three or four years) I would take a day or two off and i would go away. It had never lasted more than two days.

This year it hit the first time and I went to the doctor and they didn't really see anything so they gave me some muscle relaxers told me to take a couple days off work. I did and was fine for three months.

The second time around another doctor got curious and signed me up for a bone scan. Which was negative and then sent me o a spine doctor who said my back was fine but the sacroiliac joint was out of whack. I asked what could e done and she said nothing really and just gave me two stretches to do everyday. She also gave me muscle relaxers, told me to take a couple days off of work and put me on light duty for two weeks.

That was 3 months ago and I've been doing those stretches every morning and so far so good. I'm a zoo keeper and I pick up 2oo#+ of crap everyday. Along with bending twisting climbing and walking. So I would think that I should be able to pass he physical but I don't know.

I'm not expecting anyone to be able o say yes or no for sure. I just wanted to get this out there and find out some opinions.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 PM

During the DOT Physical, the doctor will observe your ability to bend to each side and how you bend while touching your toes. I think you should be more concerned about how truck driving will aggravate your condition. Some employers require a back x-ray. An older man was about to be turned down for employment because of degeneration of the spine. I told my employer that the x-rays proved that his pre-existing condition did not happen on the job, and everyone has physical problems as they age. He was hired and performed very well as a long-haul driver.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:09 PM

I have X-rays of my back and both hips. None of them show anything. One of the reasons this took so long to figure out. And while I can't say I've ever driven a tractor, back in early September I did drive a Penske truck 1100 miles from S. Florida to Houston with no problems. And I did the stretches every morning.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:08 AM

And this is why I wanted to make just one post.

After doing some talking with the girlfriend this evening I'm now thinking about doing the 7 week course at the local CC. Now this brings up two questions.

1). If I do it this way I will have to quit my current job and will be unemployed for at least 2 months. I can handle this, money wise. But my question is will this affect my ability to be hired? I have been at my current job 4 years.

2). My first choice for employment is Roehl. And they have their training school. Which I would pay for upfront and get reimbursed for once I go solo. This is a four week course. And they both cost about the same. Roehl is about 300 bucks more because of housing. So would this be the better option?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Random newbie questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthdriver
I'm a zoo keeper and I pick up 2oo#+ of crap everyday.
Damn, and I thought I had a "$hitty" job. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

As far as your medical condition, I don't think there should be a problem............as long as the day of the physical you are not having problems...........I'd be careful when it comes to the "Muscle Relaxers", might show up on your drug test....not really sure........I wouldn't take any for at least a month.

I take "Adderall" every day, and it comes back as an "Amphetamine" (actually has just the opposite effect on me) on my drug test....I have to have them call my Physicians office for verification.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
As far as your medical condition, I don't think there should be a problem............as long as the day of the physical you are not having problems...........I'd be careful when it comes to the "Muscle Relaxers", might show up on your drug test....not really sure........I wouldn't take any for at least a month.
Not only that, but the few times that I have been prescribed them there was a warning that you should not operate any equipment or drive as it may make you drowsy......and it certainly was the true in my case. So a company may not allow you to drive if you're on the medication. Something to definitely look into.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:43 PM

I'm sorry. I should have clarified more. I haven't taken a muscle relaxer since early August. Both times they were prescribed for a two week period.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 PM

Having had lower back troubles for many years and being an avid golfer my tip to you would be...purchase a "Water-pic" shower message...priced at around $35. I've had mine for over 10 years and works great. Be sure and take out the governor (blue piece inside) for a more powerful spray. I always use it prior to a round of golf and---voila---NO lower back tightness.

Hey Ardmore Farmers Forever---I agree we should have Sadrs' head on a pike outside the capitol bldg. Thanks to ALL servicemen/women and veterans.
Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.
R. W. Emerson