User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Succesful Drivers

Lets say that you have two drivers who work at the same company. Both drivers have the same amount of experience. Driver A averages 3,200 miles per week, while Driver B only averages 2,200 miles per week.

What is Driver A doing to make himself more productive than Driver B?

Just looking for some tips to help myself and other new drivers be as productive as possible.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Succesful Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Lets say that you have two drivers who work at the same company. Both drivers have the same amount of experience. Driver A averages 3,200 miles per week, while Driver B only averages 2,200 miles per week.

What is Driver A doing to make himself more productive than Driver B?

Just looking for some tips to help myself and other new drivers be as productive as possible.
Assuming both drivers have the chance of getting the same types of loads then driver B is wasting his time. As a driver told me years ago -- The best thing to do is keep the left door shut and drive. You will find each time you stop it will cost you about 30 minutes ( or longer). Even that stop in the rest area can cost an easy 15 minutes. When you stop try to plan your stops so you can do several things when you make that stop.

Another area that will cost you time is not planing your trip well. If your not required to follow given route you may find going 30 miles farther may save you time. A good example is a trip from Kansas City to Chicago. You can go through St. Louis which is the shortest route. But you then have to drive through St. Louis plus drive through a 55 MPH state for half the trip. That same trip through Des Moines where where most of the trip has a higher speed limit and a lot less traffic.

kc0iv
Old 10-27-2006, 03:51 PM

Great question.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM

That's good advice, left door shut and keep moving. I agree totally. When I drove OTR, I found that my miles greatly increased when I decided to focus on driving, and stop making stupid stops. I used to make my own sandwiches when I got up in the morning. It would cost me an extra 15minues in the morning, but save me time in the long run. It's amazing how much time you can burn up just looking for a parking spot at a truck stop. Trip planning for me was a lifesaver. Bad planning equals bad miles, period. Driving truck is like any other production-based job, you get out of it exactly what you put in. Plus, when you're making decent money it's much more enjoyable!

west_coaster
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

It really all comes down to time management.

Rest when you can. If you do not have to be on the dock then use that time to rest and relax.

Keep up with things like keeping the truck clean, paperwork etc. A few minutes here and there can save hours later.

Plan your trip. Try to fuel first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Know where you are going to stop for the night. Figure out the best compromise between time and miles if possible.

Take a break or two through out the day. A couple of short breaks can go a long way towards your long term consistancy.

Get a routine going for everything you can from what you do when you take a break, stop for the day, load/unload, hooking/unhooking a trailer, etc. Doing something the same way everytime breeds efficiency and helps eliminate mistakes.

Take the time to do a good pretrip and post trip inspection everyday. Many problems you can find with a good inspection and it often takes a lot less time to get things fixed at a time of your choosing then on the side of the road.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Good answers! 8)

But.... , i believe, it's only one side of a story!
First, you've got to get those miles, i mean you've got to get on a good list, with the people, who control the miles.

And that doesn't mean, "kissing butt"! :P

You've got to be a "Professional", and that means, you've got to take a little pride, of what you are doing.

You've got to be on time, a 100% of a time, if it depends on you, and communicate with the reasons, if it's beyond your control.

Treat everybody, you are dealing with, with respect, but be firm, and don't let to push you around!(that's a tricky one )

Always worked for me...and in a 32 years, of my driving career, in any company, i've worked for, i've always was in a top 10% earners! 8)
Old 10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely follow your suggestions.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Succesful Drivers

The 3,200 mile driver isn't setting his PTA out past 10 hours. I don't want to be driving a bizillion miles so I set my PTA out past 10 hours quite often. I'm single, don't have kids or high bills so I don't have to kill myself laying down 3,500+ miles per week. PTA=Projected Time of Availability.

No I'm not a lazy driver but have asthma and like some time off to regain my breathing ability. Other drivers drive illegally also and they have more than one log book.

Although, with 65 mph trucks unless you have a lot of wait time at shippers and receivers you should be able to lay down 3,200 miles per week.

So set PTA for only 10 hours [required hours to sit] and hope you don't sit long period of time at shippers and receivers.

ALSO IF YOU KEEP THE DRIVER'S DOOR SHUT-YOU'LL MAKE THE MILES. NO MATTER HOW SLOW THE TRUCK GOES. DON'T MAKE MANY STOPS DURING THE DAY AND THE DRIVER'S DOOR STAYS SHUT.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Seeing this is a Hypothetical my answer to your question would be that the Driver getting more miles is because he had a good relationship with his dispatcher and took some crappy loads for the Dispatch and the Dispatcher rewarded him with some choice loads. That's what normally happens for company drivers who don't have the Attitude and not afraid to help out the company every once in awhile-It usually pays off in the Long run.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Just dont overdo it...You need to break at least every 5 hrs, preferably 3-4, do your streches,have a fridge with food ready for a great snack while sitting in the sleeper, or on the rest-area bench or while walking the trail at the rest area. When I went OTR this was like therapy for me. If you stay out of truck stops for breaks, you avoid extra stress and getting pissed at poor service and food. You save time and avoid the hassle....Good food and fresh air works wonders in 15 mins.