User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cb for the 4 wheeler

Dear friends, I wonder if anyone here has experience with rigging a cb into a car....
I wonder wich radio to get: Is a lil cheapo any good? A cobra18/19 or a radio shack cb? I dont have space for a 'biggun'. What to use for an antenna? what about SWR? If I get one of those kits w/ magnetic or suction cup mount they sell in the TruckStop will it be any good? If I set it on the trunk and run the coax through the trunk-seal to the cb will that be good? Or set the antenna on the roof??

Another Q: I have a radio from the late 60's (Crystal) with a bad 5 prong mic with mic volume wheel on it...the prob is prolly in the mic-cord and not the mic itself. Can the cord be replaced or should i find a 5 prong mic? Where?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I will tell you what I did in my car.

I have a Uniden 510 (like a Cobra 19) hooked to a Wilson magnet mount antenna (lil wil) that I placed on the trunk lid. I ran the coax into the trunk through the seal and then routed it through the car, basically under the door "thresholds". I then mounted a noise canceling power mic to the radio.

The set up works pretty well for me.

Placing the antenna on the roof would probably boost my performance a bit, but personally I like the look of the upper center trunk lid mount better.

One last piece of advice if you go with any kind of mag mount ant. Clean and wax the area really well before putting the antenna on and then be sure to remove the antenna mount every couple of months to clean and rewax the area. This will help protect the paint.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM

I also have a Uniden Pro510 in my pickup. It's a great little radio for the 4-wheeler. I have it hooked up to a Francen (not sure if that's spelled right!) 4 1/2 foot fiberglass antenna. This setup seems to work great, and I get out and recieve very well considering the stock radio. I have the antenna mounted on the front quarter panel of my truck with a stock stainless steel mount. I like it, but I might get a base load antenna soon, the fiberglass is getting worn a bit. Sorry, I'm a bit off track... Pro510 and a Francen.

West_Coaster
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: cb for the 4 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Dear friends, I wonder if anyone here has experience with rigging a cb into a car....
I wonder wich radio to get: Is a lil cheapo any good? A cobra18/19 or a radio shack cb? I dont have space for a 'biggun'. What to use for an antenna? what about SWR? If I get one of those kits w/ magnetic or suction cup mount they sell in the TruckStop will it be any good? If I set it on the trunk and run the coax through the trunk-seal to the cb will that be good? Or set the antenna on the roof??

Another Q: I have a radio from the late 60's (Crystal) with a bad 5 prong mic with mic volume wheel on it...the prob is prolly in the mic-cord and not the mic itself. Can the cord be replaced or should i find a 5 prong mic? Where?
I pretty much agree with Uturn2001. With the exception of the power mike. On these older radio most had a pretty hot audio with very poor limiters and you can over mod real easy.

As to the mike you could have the mike tested and repaired if needed. Should be cheaper than a new mike. Any radio shop should be able to do the test and repair.

kc0iv
Old 10-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I have the pro510 in my jeep.....although i only use it when im on trails or other Jeep events. Seems to work fine, doesnt take up much space and easy to take in and out.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Board Regular

I bought a little handheld Midland (?).

Works enough for me.

-p.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Isnt the laws against having a handheld in the car?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Isnt the laws against having a handheld in the car?
You bring up an interesting question. There have been several states that have passed laws on the restriction of "cellphone" use. Most use the phrase "mobile phones" or "handheld mobile phones". The most restrictive I have found is the state of California which becomes effective in July of 2008. The interesting phrase in their "wireless telephone law" is drivers of commercial vehicles to use push-to-talk phones until July 1, 2011. Since I have not read the complete law I could see where some lawyer might get the idea where CB radios might be included.

Several years ago several states passed laws restricting the use of 2 way radios but I think those laws were repealed or are not being enforced. As far is I know there is no law that restricts a "handheld" CB. If you have any information I would love to know what you know and see if I can find-out what the law says.

kc0iv