User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I need some advice about my situation - Training related

OK so I went with SWIFT to break out in this industry. While I like my "mentor" as a person I really feel like I am not learning much with him.

I have been with him for 2 weeks.

I realize that he trains to make money and is getting paid for the miles I run. The only time in the last 2 weeks that I felt I got " training" was on my first day driving and even then I was concerned.

First let me say I am a competent person and have some experience with rigs as I used to turn wrenches on them.

But my mentor ship has gone like this

day 1 - 2 hours driving with mentor in jump seat, mentor decides I can handle it and goes to bed 2000, wakes up and takes over
day 2 - 3 hours driving with mentor in jump seat, mentor decides I can handle it and goes to bed 1900, wakes up and takes over
day 3 - we get to California mentor decides I can't handle the traffic San Diego, Torrence, Los Angeles ( doesn't even give me a chance ) delivers in San Diego decides lot is to small doesn't let me back up, goes to Torrence sends me in to pick up bills, drives to LA decides dock is to tight doesn't let me back up. Drives to long beach , ca decides I can handle it now 2200 hours tells me to head to phoenix wake him up when we get to the city limits. Arrive at yard drop load find MT mentor ( at my insistence ) lets me practice alley dock 3 times between 2 Mt's.
day 4 - puts tractor in shop take showers pick up load to Mariana Florida. Tells me from now on we are running as a team. he drives to Texas border gives me the reigns he takes over again a few hours from LA
rinse and repeat for the next 10 days. Out of 11000, miles and 8 loads I have backed at 2 cosigneeboth straight backs, and hooked the bobtail to an MT 3 or 4 times and pulled it out of the spot.

I am concerned to say the least, he keeps talking about quiting swift at the end of the year and I feel like he doesn't give a crap about my training and is just trying to make as much money as possible before he bails. I have driven during daylight hours 2 - 4 times in 2 weeks.

Should I request a new trainer? I don't feel I am getting adequate training. Even though hes a nice guy and I don't want to cause trouble for him, I have no problems going in a straight line. My map reading needs some help and my backing needs SERIOUS help.

ANY advice at all will be greatly appreciated. I have been running 9 - 10 hours a day since day 4 with 0 supervision
Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 PM

I also should add that he has edited my log on 1 occasion. the day before yesterday so he could get home. I started the day with 7 hours remaining on my 70 was down to 3 hours so he edited my line 4 by 30 minutes to give me more driving time. I was by no means tired or I would have flat out refused to drive but I know this to be illegal and was sweating bullets every time I saw a weigh station.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Board Regular

Maybe you should tell your trainer how you fell if hes a good guy like you said maybe you guys can work it out. If it doesn't get worked out IMHO you should ask for a new trainer. What will you do when you are running solo. Its going to make things a lot harder for you in the long run if you don't get things changed soon.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver85327
I also should add that he has edited my log on 1 occasion. the day before yesterday so he could get home. I started the day with 7 hours remaining on my 70 was down to 3 hours so he edited my line 4 by 30 minutes to give me more driving time. I was by no means tired or I would have flat out refused to drive but I know this to be illegal and was sweating bullets every time I saw a weigh station.
Ok you posted this while I was typing ask for a new trainer before you get yourself in trouble. I wouldn't let anyone touch my log book.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah, you dont let him make a mark on your log, its illegal, you are not allowed to have anyone edit your log other than you!
Secondly, you need to demand he teach you certain things. Like backing- you need to learn the proper technique and rules of thumb, tricks etc. You are not learning anything letting him drive. he needs to be in the jumpseat whenever youre driving if company policy/load schedule allows for a solo operation. Practice saying this: NO, I need to learn this, show me now!

No result? get new trainer
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Board Regular

You need to make the call and get a new trainer. You have certain paper work that you're suppose to be going over weekly that has benchmarks and milestone that you will need to accomplish by the end of your training period. As you accomplish these goals you're suppose to sign off and date them and your trainer if he agrees is suppose to sign off and date as well..........one of these is a sheet that logs your backing.....type, place, date, etc......

How are you accomplishing these if you're driving in a team situation? I fear you're going to hit the end of your training period and then he's going to want to fabricate all the paperwork.........your paper work is reviewed by the training department and your status is based on what you've covered and what has been learned.............you could find yourself at the end of your training period having to spend more time in a training situation to meet your milestones.

Don't forget at the end of your training period before you're assigned your own truck.......you're going to have to take another driving test with one of the training examiners.........they are much more demanding on this one than they were on driving test you took during orientation.

Do yourself and the students following you..........report this guy to the training department and get a new trainer. Has nothing to do with whether or not he's nice guy........it's your training......your career........and he's not doing the job.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the words of advice. I guess I knew what I needed to do, but wanted second and third opinions. I just don't want to jam anyone up, But you all are right it is my career and if I don't get some real training its going to be a really short career.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Senior Board Member

You should not be running as a team !! Time for a new trainer .
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I also should add that he has edited my log on 1 occasion. the day before yesterday so he could get home. I started the day with 7 hours remaining on my 70 was down to 3 hours so he edited my line 4 by 30 minutes to give me more driving time.
What your "trainer" (???) did was HIGHLY ILLEGAL!! If you take the time to read the FMCSR's... you will find that it is illegal for anyone except you to make a mark in that logbook. To top it all off, he falsified your log book!! And whats worse....he placed YOU in jeopardy.

Quote:
I was by no means tired or I would have flat out refused to drive but I know this to be illegal and was sweating bullets every time I saw a weigh station.
You should have simply said "NO"!! and told him to keep his hands off of your logbook.... So now, whether you realize it or not....you have to sweat the next six months....because thats how long your logs are available for audit by the Fed, and you'd best hope you're not involved in an accident during the next six months and then find yourself involved in litigation... because a lawyer is going to have "pro's" dissect your logs for a six month period.

PEOPLE: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, AND I DO MEAN UNDER ABSOLUTELY NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW ANYONE TO MAKE A MARK IN YOUR LOGBOOK!! IF A CORRECTION NEEDS TO BE MADE TO YOUR LOGBOOK....YOU DO IT, AND DO IT IN CONFORMANCE TO THE FMCSR's!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds typical of a swift trainer. My husband was lucky and had an EXCELLENT one. You need to get someone else.