User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TMC Orientation

I've been prehired by TMC and need to attend a two week orientation in Des Moines, IA. What should I expect? I've had a few of their drivers tell me it's like boot camp, and others tell me it's not that bad. I'm just looking for some advice and info I guess. Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

welcome to the board,now let me introduce you to the great search function that we have here.been discussed to all ends

or try www.flatbedfred.com
Old 10-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Rookie

Thanks Mike3fan. Great website, I've visited it before. Unfortunately it does not anwser some of the questions I have regarding orientation @ TMC. I'd specifically like more info regarding the driving test. I've heard TMC uses 13 speeds whereas I've never driven a 13,(just straight 10). This poses some concern on my part. Is the road test during orientation or after getting back with the trainer? I would assume after getting done with your trainer for those with minimal expirence. Just speculation on my part considering this is how most companies do it.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Board Regular

If you have no experience, most companies are going to test you during orientation........mostly for a bench mark rating. Once you get through the period with your trainer, most are going to give you another test before they put in a truck solo.

I've been through some where the other students being tested in orientation couldn't hit gears to save their lives............one girl damned near caused the examiner a heart attack riding up on cars stopped at stop lights.............if there wasn't a hole in the floor board before she tested ...........there damn sure was one after he had her pull it over.

She still passed and was sent out with a mentor at Swift.

When I talked with TMC, they told me I would do a test during orientation and another once I completed over the road training.

Don't worry about it........just do the things you know you're supposed to do safety wise...........use your signals, keep two hands on the steering wheel unless you're shifting, watch your lane position, watch your turns, use the proper lanes, maintane your safe distance, keep it in gear, etc., etc.............if you grind some gears it's not going to be a big deal, they're more concerned about your awareness, your comfort and confidence in your driving skills.............. do you know enough to recognize a dangerous situation when it's presented to you on the road...........

You'll be fine............they're a good company to be with. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Rookie

What are TMC's 13 speeds like to drive? How do they differ from a straight 10, other than having 3 more gears? Thanks for the info lifespalette. I think I've made a good choice with TMC and the training they provide. Seems like an outstanding place to learn the art of flatbedding!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome Rockaholic. 13 speed's a piece of cake. First time I ever saw one was when I road tested at TMC too! Before that I drove a 10 speed in CDL school. Call if you have any questions. Good Luck!!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks Fred. At American Truck Training they never went over the 13 speed. I hope it's easy. I don't want to be in Des Moines for two weeks, only to be sent packing due to lack of shifting a 13. Your website is great. I really look forward to meeting you down the road. Is there anything you feel I should know about orientation @TMC that is not mentioned on your website? Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Board Regular

A 13 speed is basically the same as a 9 speed. But on a 13, you can split all the gears in high range.

You have 5 gears in low range and 4 gears in high range, plus you can split all 4 gears in high, so that = 5 gears in low, and 8 gears in high range.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic
Thanks Fred. At American Truck Training they never went over the 13 speed. I hope it's easy. I don't want to be in Des Moines for two weeks, only to be sent packing due to lack of shifting a 13. Your website is great. I really look forward to meeting you down the road. Is there anything you feel I should know about orientation @TMC that is not mentioned on your website? Thanks again!
I went to the same school. In Des Moines, they understand most people never used a 13 speed before and so your shifting performance is not critical. You'll get all the practice you need when out with your driver/trainer following orientation.
As far as what to know while at orientation there's nothing specific, after all, that's what you're there for, to learn! It's not as hard as everyone makes it seem. Since I've had some experience in the office there and saw why some students get sent home, here's a list of do's and do not's.
DO NOT drink on TMC grounds at ALL and if you MUST drink off "campus" (not advised), don't over do it and come to class stinking.
DO NOT destroy your hotel room or party in it while there. Remember you are there to learn, NOT for a vacation.
DO NOT walk on the grass or litter the grounds with trash or cigarette butts.
DO be open minded and approach each day with a "can-do" attitude.
DO be polite and try to sound intelligent and capable to everyone you encounter. You never know just WHO you may be speaking with.
DO walk around and check out the place and don't forget your swim trunks. I did and had to buy a pair to go swimming and in the hot tubs.
DO feel free to call me if you have any questions or problems no matter how silly you may think they are.

Best of Luck to You! Have fun, stay safe and pay attention.

Flatbed Fred
Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Thanks Fred. I'm looking forward to the whole learning expirence at TMC! Thanks for all your help.