User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default schneider

i am wanting to start to drive truck but have no cdl was going to get it on my own but no one would talk unless i had 1 year experience so i have been asking different people about Schneider and i have not heard ne thing bad about them and they have a great school so now time to ask the professionals their opinion is it a good move or not
Old 10-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Schneider

You might wanna check out pumpkindriver.com for some of your Schneider questions. Also, don't get the word "professional" and the words "truck driver" too close together. Driving's an occupation, not a profession. BOL
Old 10-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Board Regular

I'm pretty sure I read a post about this company yesterday . Do a search here you will probably find all kinds of stuff. There are a lot of company that offer CDL training.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You couldn't pay me to live in one of their old jack o' lantern roachtraps. Damn near half the fleet has batwings twisted and bent to all hell, scrached-up paint jobs that look like Freddie Kruger gave em' a once-over. Running boards and bumpers held up by spit and baling wire.

Yep, I'll be blowin' your doors off on an interstate real soon, driver.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman
i am wanting to start to drive truck but have no cdl was going to get it on my own but no one would talk unless i had 1 year experience so i have been asking different people about Schneider and i have not heard ne thing bad about them and they have a great school so now time to ask the professionals their opinion is it a good move or not
While it is possible to get a CDL without going to school you will find it very hard to get a job. The main reason has to do with insurance. Most company insurance requires at least 2 years of driving experience. So to get experience you are forced to go with a "training" company.

As for Schneider I haven't driven for them. However, by brother has been with them for a couple years. Putting it simply -- They have their own idea on how a company should be run. As far as their school I've heard nothing but good reports. They go to great pains to teach you right. I know they have a skid pad (at least at some schools) and if you can use a skid pad it will be the best training you can get. Sure beats learning the hard way.

Another thing about Schneider it is a lot harder to get hired than many other companies.

I would you slide over to pumpkindriver.com and ask those that drive for them what they think. Just remember be it Schneider or and other company not everything you hear is in fact true. Many people have problems no matter who they drive for.

One thing else most companies will not give you a new truck. Most companies give you a truck that has been around and near the end of it's life-cycle. I know in the case of my brother he drove 2 cab-overs before you was given a good truck. However, he now has a brand new (like it had 30 miles on the odometer). There isn't many companies that will give you a brand new truck with only 2 years driving for the company.

Last thing you need to know and it is a very important point. Truck driving is not for everyone. It is more a lifestyle than a job. It is a hard life and not many people can handle it. The drop out rate for 1st year drivers is high. As high as 200% or more. AS you have found out most companies require several years experience before you can be hired. To get those prime jobs "local" is even harder.

I would suggest you check-out several companies and see what fits you. After you get a few check this group and find-out what we think about the company. Don't just jump for the first company that says they will hire you. We have several recruiters on the this forum that can help you answer some of your questions.

Good luck in your search.

kc0iv
Old 10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Board Member

You've made a good choice wanting to join the "ORANGE ARMY"Schneider is a good company with ton's of freight.The free training is the best around and it's FREE IF YOU WORK 1 Year for SNI.
Best of luck.
Skull