User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HAZMAT Endorsement

Hello all, I have a question that I thought I would be able to get advice for on here. I'm currently only 20, turn 21 in a little over a month. You have to be 21 in the state of Pennsylvania to take the HAZMAT knowledge test. I am finding out that many companies do not require the HAZMAT endorsement to be hired. Would you guys recommend paying the fees and getting the endorsement when I turn 21, or should I just wait unitl I'm sure I'll need it, and take it then? What would be the best way to do this in your opinion? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Default Hazmat

Absolutely get the Hazmat. When I decided to try for a local driving position, I had both the Hazmat and Tanker endorsement and was hired on the spot. In trucking, I would say that over qualified is certainly preferred. Certainly when going for an interview. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I would wait until you need it....I was going to get it when I got my CDL...But found out many STARTER OTR companies don't pay any additional wage to haul a HAZ-MAT LD ...this in addition to low pay in the first place made me wait...most local companies that are going to require a HAZ-MAT are also going to require Doubles and triples....in Colorado the HAZ=MAT endorsement is about $94.00 but to get the doubles and triple you need about $350.00 to get use of the equipment to get your endorsement....HAZ-MAT is as simple a taking an easy as pie test and paying the fee for the back ground search....
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I would wait until you need it....I was going to get it when I got my CDL...But found out many STARTER OTR companies don't pay any additional wage to haul a HAZ-MAT LD ...this in addition to low pay in the first place made me wait...most local companies that are going to require a HAZ-MAT are also going to require Doubles and triples....in Colorado the HAZ=MAT endorsement is about $94.00 but to get the doubles and triple you need about $350.00 to get use of the equipment to get your endorsement....HAZ-MAT is as simple a taking an easy as pie test and paying the fee for the back ground search....
You need to take a road test with doubles in your state to get the endorsement? I wasn't aware some states did that.

I paid the $5 per endorsement for my doubles/triples, tanker, and hazmat and got it all taken care of. (don't remember what I paid for the background check for the hazmat)

I drive local/regional and I don't want to get in a situation where I'm applying for a job that there may only be a couple openings in and lose out to someone because I'm missing endorsements.

I say best to get them all. If you're driving OTR don't worry about it, but it certainly opens up local opportunities if you have them.

If a company is desperate for people they'll probably tell you to get the endorsements you need and wait to hear back from you, but in that situation where they're looking for just a couple drivers and you need those endorsments, you'll be glad you had them.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM

Here in CA all you have to do for doubles is take the written. The background check for Hazmat is $94.00 and that is federal so it won't vary from state to state. I just got mine and it took exactly a week to get back approved.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Getting Hazmat keeps you in demand otherwise your truck gets driven by a bunch of illegals.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
When I got my license 6yrs ago I was told to take doubles and triples endorsement, because they would soon require a road test to get it. That has yet to happen in Ohio. I dont know of any states that require this and I would imagine it would be country wide if it happened.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Quote:
When I got my license 6yrs ago I was told to take doubles and triples endorsement, because they would soon require a road test to get it. That has yet to happen in Ohio. I dont know of any states that require this and I would imagine it would be country wide if it happened.

Yeah here in Colorado you need to spend $350.00 to get use of the equipment to take the road test which is required to get the endorsement I found this out when I called the DMV....However I'll be spending the $350.00 along with the $94 for the HAZ-MAT background check , As I have no AMBITION to drive OTR one more week....14 months has been long enough ...The only thing that sux about the endorsements besides spending the cash to aquire them is the 2 hr wait in line at the DMV to take a few tests that will only take you 15 minutes to complete ..