User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 02:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bosses can be wrong about auto slack adjusters.

I just started for a new company and did a thorough pre-trip while my boss watched. He was curious why I wanted to mark and measure the slack adjusters because he said they were automatically adjusted. I said "four pumps on the pedal and the warning buzzer sounds".(straight truck with 4 axles) Turned out 1 axle was at it's stroke limit requiring re-adjustment. As this truck did not come with stroke indicators I attached tie wraps to the rod touching the chamber. I use the mounting studs as a reference of the stroke (they're about 1 1/4") If the end of the tie wrap goes past the stud it's time for a close look at that slack adjuster.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Well you know they sit behind a desk for a living, right?
You are right, you cannot take what a boss sais to the bank. One guys told me the truck id be driving looks like a Pete with sidepipes, turns out it was an old FLD flattop :x
You seem to know your stuff when it comes to brake adjustment, 2 thumbs up! I never had to do more than point to them and say: 'Ill pull on the...measure....and adjust if nessecary' lol
Old 10-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Bosses can be wrong about auto slack adjusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastereddie
I just started for a new company and did a thorough pre-trip while my boss watched. He was curious why I wanted to mark and measure the slack adjusters because he said they were automatically adjusted. I said "four pumps on the pedal and the warning buzzer sounds".(straight truck with 4 axles) Turned out 1 axle was at it's stroke limit requiring re-adjustment. As this truck did not come with stroke indicators I attached tie wraps to the rod touching the chamber. I use the mounting studs as a reference of the stroke (they're about 1 1/4") If the end of the tie wrap goes past the stud it's time for a close look at that slack adjuster.

A lot of information on automatic slack adjusters seems to say such a condition you describe it would be wise to follow up with a complete brake inspection. Failure of automatic adjusters is not normal and when brakes are found to be out of adjustment it would suggest there has been a failure in the adjustment device.

kc0iv