User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any1 in San Diego that Can Rent Truck for Training/CDL TEST?

Hello, i used to drive OTR back in 2002. I drove for about 6 months and then quit. The problem is, i let my CDL CLASS A expire and then went back to a class C. That was a mistake, now i have to start over again to get my CDL.I will have A CDL Learners Permit so i can drive to train.Now i want to get back into driving Commercial. Im just looking for someone who is familiar with whats on the DMV tests and is in the san diego area with an 18 wheeler and at least a 48 foot trailer. I will pay you about $35-40 and hour to use your truck and any help you can give to help get me ready for the CDL Class A tests again. Some of it i remember, some i dont. Need to refresh my memory. Should be able to be ready in about 8-10 hours plus the time it would take me to take the dmv tests. Mostly need to practice the pretrip (been quite a while since i did one of those) and get the feel again for the skills tests. I imagine after i drive for a couple hours on the road it will feel normal to me again, turning and shifting. Especially since i have to double clutch for the test and no one really does that in the real world, lol. Any help or any leads would be great, thanks!

Jeremy, from San Diego. (spring Valley but i can drive to another area in san diego county)
Old 10-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I really don't think any ones insurance would cover someone without a valid Class A driving there rig. I know that schools have special insurance and they pay a lot for it. You should be able to find a local school that will allow you to pay by the hour but I'm guessing they will charge at least $65 an hour.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Board Member

And one question I have is do you have a job lined up. The major carriers will not take you without recent CDL school.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM

There's a guy up here in Sacramento that hangs out at the DMV every day and has a truck and little trailer he rents to people to do the drive tests. He charges $400.00 for the drive test and $85.00hr for practice time.

Who told you you can't float gears at the DMV? They could care less as long as you're in control of the truck at all times. A lot of BS they told us in class amazes the DMV examiners. I got my license about a month ago.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Yea i got a job lined up as soon as i get the dmv test over with. The company i worked for before said all they need is my w-2s and i have to go out with a co driver for a while before they let me go out on my own. After this time its no more trainers or co drivers. Thouoght i only had to go through that once. Oh well, thats what happens when you dont drive for years ey.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the Tip Folsom. The $85 an hour is a little steep for me unless i could be ready to take the test in a few hours. I guess i could practice pretrip and airbrakes on my pickup and pretend its a semi
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Rookie

This might not work if you're in a hurry, but my husband did his training through ROP. It takes a lot longer than the quickie four week classes, but it's free (except for a fuel fee and the fees you pay to dmv, fingerprinting, etc.)

He loved his instructors and felt like he got a great education and he still goes back to visit them. He was recovering from an injury and couldn't go get a job as soon as he graduated, so he was able to sign up for the driving portion again to keep his skills fresh.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamptildawn
This might not work if you're in a hurry, but my husband did his training through ROP. It takes a lot longer than the quickie four week classes, but it's free (except for a fuel fee and the fees you pay to dmv, fingerprinting, etc.)

He loved his instructors and felt like he got a great education and he still goes back to visit them. He was recovering from an injury and couldn't go get a job as soon as he graduated, so he was able to sign up for the driving portion again to keep his skills fresh.
That was gonna be my basic suggestion. I don't have a clue what "ROP" is, but try talking with this outfit. http://www.advanceschoolofdriving.com/

Never heard of them..but it surely can't hurt.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Check with Star Rental. That is who I went to for my Driving Test. It cost me $250. The Instructor comes with the Truck.

As far as Renting to practice...no.
Star has Instructors who will ride with you and train by the hour. I don't know what the fee is...but I would imagine for a few hours...$250.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You could always ask to use 'dizzys' truck, at least prove he has one.