User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Books on the industry

Can anyone recommend any good books about being in the business? Not any novels or stories about "life on the road" but more business oriented books about being successful in the business and as an owner operator?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Board Regular
Default Library search

I have a great county library with full computer search. Even with that I was only able to find one book; All About Trucking & Becoming a Driver Trainer by Gordon Knapp. The only others were the cdl-prep books and the state cdl-booklet. (All are good prep.) You can learn a lot here and on other forums; cfidrivers.com, angelandcroc.com, truckstopusa.com, pumpkindriver.com... to name a few. Good Luck !!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 AM

Thanks for checking. I found a couple on Amazon I might check out, just wanted to see if anyone knew of any good ones. I figured it would be good reading material for those long boring nights in iraq. Are you watching game 7? Quite a game so far.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Another Gordon Knapp book:

Is Over the Road Trucking for You?

This one is dated 2003, and is a little newer than the one Okie mentioned. Knapp says that he wrote it in response to the "revolving door" nature of OTR trucking, to try and help newcomers understand what they are getting into. He spends a lot of time repeating himself; I think he does this to make sure he gets his points across. He emphasizes, many times, staying away from the owner-operator "lease" programs that some of the companies push, and he cautions you to be careful about selecting a school for your training. He talks, maybe too much, about how he thinks the industry should change to make things better for drivers. I agree with him, but I don't think most of the changes he envisions have much of a chance.

All in all, it seems to this wannabe driver to be a good look at the less attractive aspects of life on the road, and a book worth reading. But much of the same kind of discussion can be found here on this messageboard and the other trucking messageboards. I do think that anyone considering trucking should make themselves familiar with these things.

Another book is Bumper-to-Bumper: A Complete Guide to Tractor Trailer Operations (4th edition, 2003)

This one is more "nuts and bolts" about trucking, covering the material one would find in a state CDL preparation book in considerably more detail than the CDL book, as well as aspects of trucking such as logbooks, trip planning, bills of lading/paperwork, taking care of yourself on the road, and finding a job. It is pretty much a textbook, and I would not be surprised if some trucking schools use it as one.

Unlike the Knapp book, it paints a rosy picture of trucking, perhaps unrealistically so. It is nonetheless an excellent book.

Like okie, I am in a place with an excellent public library. Here, there was only one little book on trucking, geared toward teenagers exploring careers. As many people as there are who go into trucking, it seems odd to me that a library would not have books on the subject.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Board Regular
Default Game # 7

acranger: Yes I was watching. About woke the kids up when that home run flew over. I have never seen a more devestated bunch of fans than the Met fans after that score. Good Luck in your research.

castanea: thanks for the other Knapp book title, will have to check it out.