User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Questions about driving schools

Hello all, I have a couple of questions about the company driving schools.

First, I turn 21 in early December, which is the minimum age requirement for almost all companies. My question is would I be able to apply to them before I turn 21 then start school once I am 21, or do I have to wait until I'm 21 to apply?

Also, since my birthday is in December, if I would get accepted and start school then, do the schools usually operate right through the holidays, or would I most likely start school after the holidays? Would I have the option of when I start at all?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Schools/Employment

Would I be able to apply to them before I turn 21 then start school once I am 21, or do I have to wait until I'm 21 to apply? In many states someone under the age of 21 can drive a combo vehicle, just can't leave the state. So I guess the answer would be yes and no.

Also, since my birthday is in December, if I would get accepted and start school then, do the schools usually operate right through the holidays, or would I most likely start school after the holidays? Would I have the option of when I start at all? Reference the previous, you'd be able to apply and start as long as the school has the open seat(s). My experience is most commercial schools operate thru the holidays. Part of the training deal is to condition a wanna-be driver to an eleven hour or longer day and that freight is moved during "holidays". You would probably have the option of when your training starts. BOL
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Questions about driving schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
Hello all, I have a couple of questions about the company driving schools.

First, I turn 21 in early December, which is the minimum age requirement for almost all companies. My question is would I be able to apply to them before I turn 21 then start school once I am 21, or do I have to wait until I'm 21 to apply?

Also, since my birthday is in December, if I would get accepted and start school then, do the schools usually operate right through the holidays, or would I most likely start school after the holidays? Would I have the option of when I start at all?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I know this doesn't really help you out, but to get accurate answers to both of your questions you are better off to just call the companies that you are interested in.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Tom,

As far as schools operating through the holidays, some do and some do not. If you are paying for school yourself you can go anytime you want. I would wait until you are 21 however as many companies have a time limit between grad and hiring on with them. If you are planning on having a company paying for school you may have a little flexibility but ultimately they will tell you when to be there.

Finally, as far as the age deal goes, while most companies say 21 or older, the truth is that only a small handful will hire drivers who are younger than 23 or 25 due to the cost of insurance. Before spending the money attending school you should find some companies that actually will hire at 21 and make sure your driving, criminal, and work histories as well as the school you are attending is acceptable to them.