User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Noob wanting to team drive w/ Schneider

First off, I have to say that this might be the best web/message board I've ever seen in terms of the lay out and access to actual useful information! Bravo!!!

Okay, I am one of those people that is considering OTR because my current full time gig in IT is being off-shored to India. I am 36 yo and have a spotless drving record save one speeding ticket ( 71 in a 60 ) about a year ago. No convictions of an kind.

A cousin of mine and are considering team drivng w/ Schneider becuase of the provided training and there is a terminal here in St. Louis, MO where we are. My cousin has been a city police officer for 10 years and he hates his job too. He's 38 yo and has a similar driving record to mine.

We are looking at doing this in the spring of next year afte each of us collects our yearly bonus and tax refunds so we will have enough money to get us through the first few months of training and what not.

We'd like to hear a little bit about team driving w/ Schneider or any one else that would hire/train. The 18 mos comittement from Schneider really doesn't bother us but if there are other options we'd like to here abiut that too. Of course we'd like to get on some type of regular or dedicated route and be home 2-3 wekends a month but of course that may be asking too much as couple of rookies?

Thanx for any help!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

if you HAVE to team, do not waste your time with the OTR mega fleets. Contact the Union outfits and go make some real money with decent benefits and not live in a truck for weeks and months on end.

Teaming has become the stop gap measure for companies that are generally poor at planning and hire so many idiots than they need teams to bail them out on a regular basis.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 AM
Board Regular

Do a Schneider search here and then you might want to look at a some other companys. Others provide traing also.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
if you HAVE to team, do not waste your time with the OTR mega fleets. Contact the Union outfits and go make some real money with decent benefits and not live in a truck for weeks and months on end.

Teaming has become the stop gap measure for companies that are generally poor at planning and hire so many idiots than they need teams to bail them out on a regular basis.
Could you explain this a bit more please. What do you mean by "union outfits", is that like the ABF's etc.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy

They will not be able to hire in with a union company like Yellow, UPS, ABF, etc.. without experience. You need at least one year for Yellow and Im sure the rest are the same.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:17 PM

dont forget www.pumpkindriver.com !

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Default no

no you dont need a year to get with them. a CFI driver I went to school with had only 2 months experience and got on with ABF
Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

You need a CDL and the patience of Job...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Default Re: no

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkbmlb
no you dont need a year to get with them. a CFI driver I went to school with had only 2 months experience and got on with ABF
ABF will consider you for their training program with less than 2yrs experience. Even if you got on with them, you will not be able to tell them who you are going to partner with. You will go with a senior guy who needs a partner and it sounds like they want to stick together. I dont know how ABF does it, but not all Yellow terminals run sleeper teams-only certain ones, so if you dont live near one of them you will not be teaming.