User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TMC Trucking

I'm thinking about driving for TMC. I've read that they want you to cheat on your log books and run,run,run all the time without much of a break. I would like to hear some feed back because I have read a lot of good thing about them. I just sent my app. to them to see if they will prehire me so I can go to a local school were I live.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Board Regular

Click the link and PM this guy. He'll have answers to most of your questions. :wink:

CLICK ME
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TMC Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I'm thinking about driving for TMC. I've read that they want you to cheat on your log books and run,run,run all the time without much of a break. I would like to hear some feed back because I have read a lot of good thing about them. I just sent my app. to them to see if they will prehire me so I can go to a local school were I live.
I thought about answering this question in private but figured I'd do it HERE so all could read it.

TMC does not want you to cheat your log books and run illegal EVER. THAT, is company policy, and if caught running illegal, safety will shut you down. Ask me how I know.
Do some drivers do it anyway? Yes they do.
Do some fleet managers push their drivers hard? Yes they do. Technically, that's their JOB. To get as much from a driver as they can and I agree with this. How else will a person who knows nothing about you find out what you are capable of?
Are you REQUIRED to run harder than you feel comfortable with? No you are not. You (hopefully) are a "big boy" and can deceide for yourself how YOU WANT TO RUN.
I've run legally most times and "pushed the limits" when it benefitted me and I felt comfortable (and safe) doing so.
Cowboy or "Outlaw" drivers make a bit more money running "hot" and I've seen some who are used to it (and quite GOOD at it). Me? I get tired driving too quickly to drive even my available 11 hours and so never drove even that much daily. That was one of the driving forces behind my taking the home-daily dedicated position I have now with TMC. I was NOT a "Super Trucker" and probably never will be. :lol:
When you get into your own truck with TMC, you and only YOU will deceide how hard you run.
You (and other readers here) are ADULTS. How on EARTH could someone "force" you to do something you aren't comfortable with? Hopefully this will FINALLY put the question to being "made" to run illegal, to bed.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I heard this little credo a long time ago and it is how I try to live my own life:

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”

What a lot of the drivers here are going to tell you is the HOS are unworkable. Frankly I agree. There is the letter of the law and there is the intent of the law. As a driver regardless of the company you work for your going to have "opportunities" to disregard both the letter and intent of the law. It is up to you and your own personal integrity, values, and work ethic how your going to handle these opportunties.

When your the driver you are the one out there risking your life and the lives of others on the road. That desk jocky FM isn't the one going to jail because you fell asleep, ran a light, or something else stupid because you were too tired, disoriented, or unfit to drive. So know your limitations, step up, and stand your ground. Like Fred said, your a Big Boy so take some ownership for how "professional" your going to be in your career.

When your with a trainer do as they say and teach you, but when your in your own truck it is up to you to decide how your going to roll. Log it like it happened and there are no problems to worry about.

Not everyone lives by the definition of "Integrity" from above, so make sure you have your interests covered. BOL

Longsnowsm
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

As usual Longsnowsm, you've said it better than me!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
I heard this little credo a long time ago and it is how I try to live my own life:

Longsnowsm
Exactly. You're not going to get fired for doing what you know is right. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and tell your FM that that long overnight run is simply impossible for you to do safely and legally. Of course, he'll say "it's due by 4:00am, there's nothing I can do about it". Oh well, it'll just have to be late. :roll:
Old 10-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

10-4 nrvsreck
Old 10-21-2006, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm
Exactly. You're not going to get fired for doing what you know is right. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and tell your FM that that long overnight run is simply impossible for you to do safely and legally. Of course, he'll say "it's due by 4:00am, there's nothing I can do about it". Oh well, it'll just have to be late. :roll:

I had a couple of those early on in my driving career and of course thought I was gonna be the hero getting this "hot load" there on time. Then I get to the reciever and see they have a warehouse full of this stuff that just had to be there overnight. :roll: Did'nt take me long to wise up. No load is so important to put your life or others at risk.